Topic

Repackaging DEET

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I want to repackage my DEET into a much smaller bottle. I hardly use it at all, and when I do use it, I only use a tiny bit.

I realize DEET is a solvent, so I don't want to select something that will be dissolved.

Any ideas for a tiny container to repackage my DEET?

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

I put mine in a BPL mini-dropper. No problem. DEET comes in plastic containers so I never worried about the type of container I used for repackaging .

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I do the same thing. I've dedicated one of my BPL droppers to DEET. No problems so far, although the longest I've had DEET in it is 10 days. I empty it and rinse well with hot soapy water in between trips. I'd be interested to hear what people do for long thru hikes.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Diane, same answer as Rob and Chris. Like you, I try to use DEET sparingly. The BPL droppers are just the right size. I leave the DEET in the BPL bottle between trips and haven't had one dissolve on me yet.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Cool. I am hoping to find something that has medicine or something else it, rinse it out and reuse it. Save myself from buying something new. I guess I won't worry too much about the plastic. I suppose any kind of flexible plastic will do.

Thanks!

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

I've had bad luck with "watertight" pill containers leaking. Bottles used for liquid med's may work, but are usually so big you might as well carry the original DEET package. The BPL's are great for things like this as they add almost nothing to pack volume or weight. Perhaps, someone has a good DIY/homemade alternative?

JJ Mathes

@jmathes

Locale: Southeast US

I use a plastic dropper bottle that once contained contact lens solution with a screw on cap. It's close in size to the BPL dropper bottles. I think it holds 0.5 liquid ounces when completely full. I empty and rinse after each trip, so far so good, no problems with leakage or plastic dissolving.

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

Oh, I've had deet melt my sunglasses and a phone to my ears! Not all plastics are created equal. Definitely check the type of plastic it comes in and use the same kind.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

And how long of a phone conversation does it take to melt and bond a phone to ones ear……?

Dave Weston

@wsuweston

Locale: NW

I have been waiting for them to get back in stock so I can do this very thing. Anyone have any other options for a small bottle till they get more in?

James Dubendorf
    Spectator

@dubendorf

Locale: CO, UT, MA, ME, NH, VT

Have had good luck with these, though not specifically with DEET.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/mini_dropper_bottles.html

James

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I have found two candidate containers. One contained ear wax cleaner. I've dumped out the cleaner and rinsed it out. The container has a screw top and the opening is a small squeeze bottle-type point. I've also got a much smaller squeeze tube of Compound W. I could rinse that out and use it, too.

Haven't tried either one yet. I will have to slurp it up with the squeezing action of either container.

Both containers look like similar plastic but slightly softer than the original bottle. We'll see what happens.

Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

I use a small roll on type of DEET, its made by Cutter. Liquid DEET has ruined some of my gear in the past when it leaked out of its "leak-proof" container

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

There's also the cream version, easy to repackage in basically any kind of container and also easier to apply with precision.

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

NOT LONG!!! pretty much instant.

Dave Weston

@wsuweston

Locale: NW

Thanks James, I will order those.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools