Topic

Boots for Shasta

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Boots for Shasta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm considering climbing Shasta this year. I haven't owned a pair of boots for years, since I do all my backpacking in trailrunners, even in winter, and am trying to decide how much of a mountaineering boot I'd need to do the Avalanche Gulch route in late June. Would a regular backpacking boot (w/crampons of course) suffice, or would I need a more specialized mountaineering boot?

Cali Terrasas

@cal429258

Locale: So Cal

I would wear a regular hiking boot.
    When I did Shasta last year in July I used a Mt. boot and
    Man it was just to much weight on the feet. The wind was what made it cold of course but there was much more rock then snow. I used my crampons for only a short little bit that could have been avoided if I wanted to.
    If I were doing it again I would just get some comfortable boots. Especially walking down hill.
    Hope this helps
    Be safe and have fun
    Cal

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

I agree, backpacking boots will do just fine. I don't recommend it at all but once, sort of by necessity, I climbed Shasta using running shoes and a set of instep crampons. It worked but I wouldn't do it again. My feet got cold, wet, and sore where the crampons were tied on.

cameron eibl

@cjeibl

Locale: San Diego

I just finished a climb of Shasta via casaval ridge on Friday. I used nepals but my friend used his backpacking boots and aluminum crampons and did fine. Conditions were icy. So getting by on avy gulch later in the season with reasonably stiff boots should be easy. But if you do not already own backpacking boots you would probably be better off getting a B2 boot because your footing will be more secure and you can use them for steeper and icier routes. Something like the trango s paired with grivel air tech light or another aluminum 12point hybrid with anti balling plates would be what I would choose.

Julian Plamann

@julianp

Locale: San Francisco

I went part way up as a side trip on my PCT thru-hike this summer. The others I was with reached the summit. We all had trail running shoes, shorts and trekking poles. No crampons, ice axes or boots and didn't have any issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools