Topic

Tent stakes in …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Tent stakes in …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

… your pee bottle. That's where mine are. Where do you keep yours?

And yes, I empty the bottle BEFORE packing the tent!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Pee bottle?????
    What for?

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

4 u 2 p 'n

(edited for spelling)

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Stakes go in a very tiny silnylon pouch that barely registers on my scale. Then they get rolled up with the Lunar Duo before I stuff it all into it's provided stuff sack.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

I designed a little cuben fiber stuff sack with a shock cord closure that folds over and snaps around the stakes to hold them together like an elastic band. It weighs 2 grams but it's not multi-use.

Joe must have liked my design because he's listed it for sale on his site.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

John,

I bought one of those sacks from Zpacks a couple weeks ago. Only .07 oz. I have to go with Joe's weight because by 1/10 oz scale registers zero ounces with it.

I bought several sizes of cuben fiber sacks from him, they are incredibly light, and can now dump the pack liner.

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

Nick,

Yes, his stuff sacks are excellent. I got several sizes to use for food bags along with a rock sack.

Regarding the topic – I thought I saw a post on here where somebody was using a plastic case from a Sea to Summit dry bag as a tent stake holder.

Adam Behr
    BPL Member

@justsomeguy

I fold a tiny piece of cardboard over the tips (to keep them from poking holes in anything) and secure it in place with a hair-tie.

My hair's long so I always have a few extra hair-ties with me, but they're all put to use in some way or other.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Yes, John. I saw it too. Also an idea reusing a tube that contained candy. Here is the thread URL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19230&skip_to_post=151081#151081

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

… an Aloksac ziplock and slid between the layers of my sleeping pad, which is rolled and used as a pack liner.
    Total weight 1.6oz (sack +10 stakes).

David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

Sure, I've put stakes in a zippie or stuff sack and rolled them into my tent, tarp or pad. What I was looking for were multiuse ways to store them. Pee bottle seemed like a good idea: no chance the stakes will puncture anything, and the bottle only comes into play at night when the stakes are holding up a tent or tarp. I'm open to others.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Well, as long as you have enjoyed storing them in a plastic baggie, why not store them in a USED plastic baggie? Store them in a wrapper from an energy bar or something. Then your trash becomes multiuse.

David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

A used baggie is re-use, not multi-use. Energy bar wrapper, not big enough, doesn't seal, no puncture resistance, gets food smell on my tent. Not gonna try that.

Is there anything else that might work, something we carry that we use when your tent is set but not when your tent is packed?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Like many others I use a light nylon stuff sack made for the stakes. But … the drawcord is strong 2 mm nylon cord (no cordlock). I often use the drawcord hooked under the top of the stakes to pull them out – like when they are frozen in place or jammed between rocks. I pull on the drawcord, NOT on the stuff sack.

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You can wash your ziplocs and reuse them. I do not see any real difference between reuse and multiuse in a closed, finite system like a backpack.

The hairband idea is a good one. Or use a rubber band. You never know when a rubber band might come in handy so having one onhand isn't such a bad idea. Otherwise, you could put them into a stuff sack that has something else in it already, or even store them in a pocket of the jacket you wear as you set up your tent, or roll them up in your spare socks.

My ideas aren't very clever, but I favor simplicity whenever possible. Among the things I carry, nothing is quite the shape of the tent stakes so I would have to add something new if I didn't already have a small, silnylon sack that came with an umbrella that I have reused. Now that I've thought up the rolled socks, I may retire the silnylon sack. So thanks for helping me inadvertently!

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> What I was looking for were multiuse ways to store them.

You tote a pee bottle and you're concerned about a multi-use tent stake bag?

Never mind.

Edit:

Wait, how about a SUL pee ziplock?!?!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thin titanium stakes could be stored (or jammed) inside your closed cell foam pad.

David Bizup

@scouterinahammock

> You tote a pee bottle and you're concerned about a multi-use tent stake bag?

Sorry dude. Didn't mean to get you knickers in a twist. This is the multiuse forum, and I was looking for a multiuse idea. If you don't have one no need to insult.

This feels like WB.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

> This feels like WB.

Ok, I'll bite.
    What's WB?

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

WB = White blaze… don't bother.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Really….Dan means it. Forget it was even mentioned.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Okee dokee
    Gracias!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"Pee bottle?????
    What for?"

"4 u 2 p 'n"

I would call that a true 'multiuse' item given the number of times I often need to pee each night!

;)

I keep our tent stakes in a Caldera Caddy. Two of the stakes are also multiuse to hold the pot over the Ti-Tri Caldera Cone.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

I carry one pointy large Ti stake (I think from EMS) that fits nicely through the hole in my LMF SUL Long Handle spoon and then fills the space created by the bend in the handle. Then I rubber band the rest around that.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

…my tarp. I wrap my tarp up around them by tying a guyline around the bundle of stakes, then winding the tarp around them into a bundle. It also makes the tarp easier to unfurl with a weighted end. If you tie the stakes in right, you can actually toss the end out to unfurl the whole tarp.

On the White Blaze tip, as long as you can stomach/ignore the old timers and local ruffians with attitudes it's THE resource for the Appalachian Trail. If you want to know what a particular shelter is like, where the best view in Pennsylvania is along the trail, what restaurant to eat in near the trail in Catawba, Virginia- then just post it on WB. Someone will give you accurate info. If you want to talk gear, stick with BPL.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools