Topic

Who’s hiking the JMT this year?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Who’s hiking the JMT this year?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Sanchez

@thereyet

Locale: So. Cal.

Hey Matthew..looking forward to meeting you guys..Where will you be camping prior to your departure? And the count down continues.

Ernie Sanchez

@thereyet

Hey Aaron…thank you very much for sharing the information and we'll be on the look out.

Matthew Parker

@mparker20

Locale: SoCal

Ernie,
    Still not sure where we will be camping prior to the trip, need to get on this.

Yohei Aoyagi
    BPL Member

@zzz_bear

Locale: Tokyo

Hello,

I will start Thru-hiking on July 15 from Happy Isle.
    I couldn't get a permit by mail, I'll get a first-come, first-served permit.

Please say "Hi" if you see me on the trail!
    I am Japanese man, maybe use ULA Conduit.

Thanks
    Yohei

Ernie Sanchez

@thereyet

Well, I'm down to Mr. Solo…my brother had to bail due to work restraints. I will now be on Amtrak from Oceanside to L.A. bus to Bakersfield, Amtrak to Merced and bus to visitor center, what a day. I'll keep the same JMT schedule..see you all on the trail.

Lida Bartosova

@liduska1

I am looking for a partner for JMT. Starting date August 15th and planning on finishing in 10 or 11 days.

Jonathan Larson

@jonathandlarson

Locale: Orange County, CA

I'll be setting out solo July 30 from Happy Isles and hopefully ending at Whitney August 10-11. See you all on the trail. I'll be the guy with dreads and wearing sandals.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Hi all. I'll be hoping to get a walk up permit to start on Friday August 21st. Aiming to finish in 14 days with resupply and a night at VVR. Hope to see some of you out there!!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I leave for Yosemite on Aug 21st. Plan is to get a walk up permit Sunday morning and set out Monday the 24th. 13 hiking days with resupply at Red's Meadow and MTR.

Adam Parsons

@marble0707

Anyone planning on going in September? I'd like to find a group. Pretty good pace too, 12ish days

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm planning a solo SOBO hike, starting July 27/28/29 (still have to pin that one down). I'll need to pick up a walk-up permit, though. Planning on finishing on August 11 or so.

Even though I know the numbers are against me, why do I sigh so heavily after getting my rejection email from the permit office?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Myself and 3 others are hitting the JMT on July 18, 2010. We'll be pacing ourselves for 3 days to get to T. Meadows and afterwards 8-12 miles a day (averaging 10 miles) to get to Whitney Portal with perhaps one down day at either VR or MTR, not sure about the down day. Ages between 53-65. It will be my 3rd yr on the JMT, 11th yr in the High Sierras.

You'll be able to distinguish me because of the fishing vest I wear. Also I'll have a 1.75" button showing a picture of John Muir (greytone) with the logo "JMT@YG" — I also belong to JohnMuirTrail@YahooGroups and we have an identifying logo button.

We'll be picking up 3 more people at Reds Meadow who will be going on to Whitney Portal then (well 1 of them quits at OnionValley).

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Roleigh:

Why don't you just move out to CA or better yet, NV, so you don't have so far to go each summer?

Get away from the MN snow and cold winds!

Don't come to OR unless you're bringing lots of money.

Kimberly Mooers
    BPL Member

@godschildren

Hello fellow hikers. I am looking for a small group to join on a thru hike during July or August.

Kim [email protected]

bryan c.

@bugsdad

I actually posted this in the Class of 2010 thread before I saw this one. Looks more active in here so I thought I'd post here too……
    I'm planning on a JMT/HST hike starting at Tuolumne on Aug 29th and ending at the Wolverton Creek trailhead at the end of the High Sierra Trail on our about Sept. 18th. Planning on detouring and spending a night at Lake South America and heading down the Kern to the HST once I leave the JMT at the junction.
    Never done the JMT but have done Whitney several times including a planned day hike with my mom this July, so figured this trip would be a great way to see more of the Sierras and finish my aborted 2005 HST trip.
    I'd love any recommendations for favorite campspots along the JMT portion. My itinerary will be fairly loose with campspots in mind, but also with the idea that if I find a beautiful spot to camp or want to extend or shorten a day I will.
    Can't wait!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

" My itinerary will be fairly loose with campspots in mind, but also with the idea that if I find a beautiful spot to camp or want to extend or shorten a day I will."

If you've got a spare day, consider following the boot track from the JMT up to Darwin Bench. Camp there and spend a day exploring Darwin Canyon and the basin just below Alpine Col. Beautiful country, huge trout. The boot track leaves the JMT just after you come up out of Evolution Valley, about 1/2 mile north of Evolution Lake.

bryan c.

@bugsdad

Thanks Tom!
    That sounds excellent. After calculating days and miles, I'm finding that I should have plenty of extra time to either explore or take very short days/rest days. I'd prefer to explore a bit. This sounds like an excellent sidetrack.

Anyone have a favorite campspot that's within 10 or so miles of MTR? I think I'm gonna stay at Heart Lake and then resupply at MTR and need a good place to finish that day.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools