Topic

TNF Flyweight Rucksack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TNF Flyweight Rucksack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

After looking around the net for a pack in the 2000 cu in range I came upon the the TNF flyweight rucksack:

product image

At 15 oz. it looks like a nice lightweight pack in a more durable fabric and thought it may be of some iterest to users here.

Also, if any beta on it is out there that would be nice to know. I'm thinking of getting one for shorter trips. I use a 48 in ridgerest and wanna know if it'll fit (assuming all my other gear is light/ultralight).

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

It's actually 12oz and is completely packable. I have a 48" RR and will try it out later this evening for you.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Jonathan,

That would be great – thank you!

And 12 oz … Even better!!!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yup, 1950 cubic inches and 12oz — comes in 5 different colors too (please don't get the red one)!

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

That would be such a sweet summit pack. Thanks for sharing!

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

Yes your 48" rr will fit. I just tried it , its all good.
    I suspect there will be postive feedback after this pack gets a little more exposure.

Jim

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Yes it does fit. I will second Jim's verification. Have you loaded it this way yet Jim?

My kids delay my gear time :)

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

No I have not loaded it yet. I normally use an Ion.
    My gut is hoping for similar performance with a little
    breathing room.

Jim

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California
    Brett Grizzle

@bdgriz

Locale: Northeast GA

Wow! You mean to tell me the TNF atually makes gear that a light weight backpacker would consider buying? I thought they only made sweatshirts with huge logos and 2lb fleece jackets in all the hot colors (seem to be very popular with the sorority girls around here). How refreshing!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I won't find TNF refreshing until they get rid of that loud IN YOUR FACE logo of theirs!

Sorry, Roy… I'm sure it's a good pack otherwise.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i think i prefer my z-packs blast 18

1800 cu in pack

@ 3.1 or so oz.

a few bucks more but oh so much lighter and packable

it's worked well for a weekend backpack as well – was the pack i used on the Coe trip with room to spare

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Jim and Jonathan – Thank you for checking that out for me

Nick – Thank you for the link to the other thread and the mini review. It clarifies a lot.

Ben – I now know exactly what to get you for your birthday :^)

I'm gonna get one and report back here with some more beta. I wonder why there aren't more packs with this kind of volume available.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ebay — where crappy presents turn to cash every day! :)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

There appears to be another style with a zipper pocket on the front of the pack, looking at the Campmor catalog and a few other sites. Not only that but the top lid is gone and the pack is smaller. Must be the 2009 model. If you like this pack, you'd better grab it and then stuff the Neo Air inside and create a buying frenzy!!

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Actually to my understanding the entire TNF Flyweight line is new for 2009. The one w/ the front zipper you are referring to is the Flyweight pack. This is the flyweight "rucksack" pack. Just two different models all together. They are also making a tote, duffel and map bag.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

aaahhhh. That explains it. Thanks! : )

Michael Chudzinski

@oknowa

Looks like a great pack. Looking forward to hearing the reviews.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Apologies on the delay getting back here…

I purchased the Flyweight Rucksack but soon returned it. The reasons were two-fold: the shoulder straps were a bit uncomfortable and I didn’t like the lid design.

The first problem was with the pack was the straps. They’re just some neoprene with some nylon running down the edges. When loaded up with anything over 10 or so lbs I could really feel the edges of the straps digging into my shoulders. The padding wasn’t stiff enough to hold the straps flat so the edges would curl in towards each other to the point where there wasn’t really any padding touching my shoulders at all. Very uncomfortable even for just a few minutes

The second problem was the lid design. I wanted to use this pack with a shorty Ridgerest, which would have worked out fine if the lid was just a flap, but of course it isn’t. The lid is a shaped pocket sort of deal and would limit the amount of width one could have at the top of the pack. With the Ridgerest inserted it was pretty much impossible to close up the pack all the way.

I realize that the pack wasn’t designed to be used for backpacking but it looked good enough on paper to try it out. It didn’t work well. Fortunately, this gave me enough reason to but a 2009 ULA Conduit!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools