Topic

need a large pot for a group

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear need a large pot for a group

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Frederick Chang
    BPL Member

@frdchang

hello,

i need a lightweight large pot that holds around 3 liters. the titanium options are too expensive.

any suggestions?

1) coffee cans?
    2) paint cans?
    3) anything else?

i did read on zen stoves that galvanized steel should not be used.

cheers,

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Aluminum options are generally quite cheap with minimal weight penalty. Open Country makes various size aluminum pots that may work for you; they are sold at REI and the like.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I too use a 4 quart aluminum pot from Open Country for larger group excursions. You can find these at most all Army/Navy-type stores as well as dedicated camping stores like REI.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I almost was able to boil 1 gallon of water in a "beer keg". I used a DIY alcohol stove that holds 3 ounces of fuel. See the attached photos:

<center>

</center>

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yes, aluminum is a good option and easily available. Plus it lasts.

When I need to melt a lot of snow I bring my 30+ year old Sigg Tourist. This is a nesting set up, and I may just bring one or both. For a group both may be convenient. Not sure if they are still available. As to a group excursion — never done that :)

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Admittedly not as cheap as a re-used can, but Evernew makes a nice 4L aluminum pot with great handles, ceramic nonstick, about 60 bucks. Half the price of Ti, but only 3 ounces heavier. Think the product code is ECA186.

Frederick Chang
    BPL Member

@frdchang

thank you for the quick reply!

i might spring for either a modified heine keg, or the open country pot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools