Topic

getting a new pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) getting a new pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Chambers

@tomandme34

I'm thinking about getting a new pack, right now i have a Jansport.
    When we go out we go for about 2 to 3 nights.
    i would like something with a lot space. I want in internal frame.

Thanks! if you have any ideas they will help!

David Ure

@familyguy

Have a look at the new Backpaker Magazine Gear Guide. That will be a good place to start determining the features that you want and / or require.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

What he said. If you can't get the mag, check out his link:
    http://www.backpacker.com/gear_backpacker_2008_gear_guide_backpacks/gear/12235

Also, check out the Osprey Exos line.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Consider Osprey (especially Atmos line), ULA Equipment, and ZPacks for general reliability and light weight. But if features are important, you'll need to do some research – the variations are many.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

More info on what you want/expect out of a pack would help those giving advice. If you are currently using a jansport model, you might want to be carefull about jumping to a full-on ultralight pack – even the ones with frames are going to be different than a full-suspension non-UL pack. There's nothing wrong with UL packs, they're just going to be different than what you are used to.

I have a North Face Skareb 55 that weigh 3.5 lbs, and has between 3000-3600ci dependin on size. My large 3650ci has plenty of room for snow camping gear. For the weight with a full suspension, its a pretty good pack, and being North Face, often on sale. Otherwise, a ULA Catalyst might fit the bill. It's lighter than my Skareb and has more volume. You'd also be buying American-made if that makes a difference. One of the new REI UL packs or one of the various Osprey lines are nice too. Anything you can buy at REI or Backcountry.com has the advantage of a 100% return guarantee, even after use. That's a handy piece of mind if you're new to backpacking and not sure what you're looking for.

As pointed out, it comes down to features. Do you want lots of pockets, bulletproof durability; are you willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of carry comfort (and I mean just a tiny little bit) for significantly lighter weight? What do you want?

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

As George pointed out, have a look at the Osprey Exos. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILKDzXPbj4

It's gonna be my next backpack. Not 100% UL, but definitely a great pack to wear for my needs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools