Topic

2016 Seekoutside Divide 4500 Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2016 Seekoutside Divide 4500 Review

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jim L
    Spectator

@ferret

Did you consider the olive color when ordering the pack? I was set on ordering it for color preference and extra durability until the Massdrop came out. Now saving a few ounces and a few dollars has me on the fence. Thanks

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Wasn’t an issue for me because I prefer the gray and was happy to save 3 oz. To be honest, I didn’t really consider it from the durability standpoint, having read many positive reviews of Xpac generally, so don’t think it will be much of a difference, unless you’re planning to do lots of bushwacking. Only time will tell if I was wrong not to take that into account.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Got mine today. Beautiful. I think it ticks all the right boxes for me. Thanks again Brian.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

Anyone heard anything about whether Seek Outside will offer hipbelt pockets for this?

And this might be a long shot, but does anyone have any idea whether ZPacks hipbelt pockets (I own a pair) could be attached to the hipbelt? I can attach them to my HMG pack but the hipbelt on the Divide looks a little taller, so not sure the zpacks pockets would fit.

Thanks!

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I have the Evolution pack frame and I had Luke’s Ultralight make two pockets with slightly longer tabs to fit over the waist belt hip section – this has worked very well for me.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

I have a brand new divide and the 2015 version of Zpacks hip belt pockets and they fit easily on the wide belt. The thing I don’t like about those pockets though is that the zipper goes over the edge, which creates a larger opening, but makes it so I have to use two hands to open/close them. I also tried a MLD belt pocket (dyneema) and managed to squeeze it on just fine.

Both of these work, but I’m still looking for a better designed pocket. Right now, it looks like Luke’s or Zimmerbuilt would be better options. I had Zimmerbuilt pockets previously, which I liked, but they were .5 cuben and wore out after just one season.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

This is what I use for waist belt pockets on all my packs:

http://lukesultralite.com/ultralite-accessory-pouch-2

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the stock version did not easily fit over the waist belt padding, so I had Luke make two with slightly longer waist tabs which allowed the pockets to fit on the waist belt.  I had two on my pack last hunting season and they held up through multiple days of bushwhacking on Afognak and Kodiak islands.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

@Dan, Thanks, good to know the zpacks pockets fit. I have the 2015 version as well and agree with you it’s annoying not to be able to open them with one hand. I also wish they were a little bigger.

@Michael
    , those pockets look interesting… what are the dimensions (width, length, depth)? The website doesn’t list any. In the photo, they look decently big compared to the bic lighter. But exact dimensions would be nice. Of course I could email Luke to ask him but figured I’d ask here so others will know. Thanks!

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

It’s only a rumour but somewhere I found that SO is (thinkin of) designing its own hipbelt pockets. This is nothing more than a rumour currently and only SO knows more about it.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

My review of Luke’s Accessory Pockets:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/101621/

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A few notes on frame height for people thinking about getting a Divide:

If your torso length is 19″ or shorter, the standard 24″ frame will be fine for just about any load a backpacker would carry.  BGoode’s photos on the first page show this well.

If you’re in the 19-22″ range, you could go one of two directions.  If you’ll keep loads on the lighter side of 30 pounds most of the time, and/or don’t use load lifters very aggressively, the stock frame should be fine.  If you’ll be carrying heavier stuff regularly, hunting with it, or have a strong preference for getting all of the weight off your shoulder, I’d recommend getting 2″ extensions, and possibly cutting them down.  Reference this photo of me with a heavy, awkward load.  In that photo I have extensions cut down to 1.25 inches, for a total frame height of 25.25″.  This gives me (21″ torso) decent lift at heavy weights, and doesn’t place the side pockets too high.  I’ll be running the pack at this height for everything this year.

If you got a really long torso (>22″) I’d recommend getting a Unaweep and 4″ extensions, and doing the above mod to give you a ~27″ frame height.  Or get the Revolution frame, Fortress bag, and run it at up to 28″ for massive loads.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools