Topic

Making a beak for a SpinnTwinn

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a beak for a SpinnTwinn

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

I added a separate full beak for the high end to help block the wind and add a vestibule. It means the high end points into the wind. Hmm, maybe I should make one for the small end instead. Anyway, it works. I did cook under it once with my bushbuddy wood stove. The smoke almost did me in!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/570850898upjTCe?start=0

Mark Seeley

@mseeley

Locale: Arizona

Looks great! How much weight does it add?

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

5.25 oz. The blue fabric is Momentum that I had left over from a bivy project. The beak did not reach all the way to the ground without it, but the extension could be left off and it worked fine in the woods without them. Thought I might be more exposed on the JMT this summer, so I added them. I also used shock cord and toggles for adjustable tie-outs. There are lighter alternatives.

The tarp and beak with all the ties, 12 stakes in the silnylon stuff sack weighs 19 oz.
    Therefore,the SpinnTwinn alone with 12 stake sand lines would be around 14 oz.
    A great shelter less than a pound for one person. Its a tight shelter for two.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools