Topic

Video: Packraft Wet Reentry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Video: Packraft Wet Reentry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Video: Packraft Wet Reentry

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I hate to be a wet blanket, and hope this is taken constructively, but I think it would have been much better for the demonstrators to actually use the recommended techniques. If two of the big re-entry no-no's are letting go of your paddle or pushing off of the bottom, it would help to see how to do it without doing those things.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

I've never been packrafting, but I have done a lot of kayaking and canoeing as well as climbing onto inflatable rafts… which brings me to my point… maybe it's just me, but is this video really necessary? Anyone can figure out how to get back into a raft when it tips…you just climb in… It's not hard, especially if you can stand on the bottom (as in one video), it's calm water (all videos), or you don't have to worry about losing your paddle (several videos). I hope future articles focus on more interesting and informative topics and not things such as How to inflate an air mattress…

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Wet re-entry of an Alpacka is not nearly as straightforward as with some other types of watercraft and takes practice, especially in deep water. See here for a diary of my struggles prior to 'mastering' the technique. It's difficult until it's easy, and frankly no amount of distance learning will compensate for hands-on practice, but at least it's a worthwhile place to start.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools