Topic

Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Dont wear your day clothes to bed-myth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

I have always been told, change into a dedicated set of sleeping clothes, dont get into your sleeping bag with your hiking layers. Truth or myth?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I heard that long ago, too. On the PCT I got tired of changing my clothes every night. One night I just slept in my clothes. I was as warm and comfortable as any other night, plus I didn't have to fuss with putting on my cold clothes in the morning. I have never taken sleeping clothes backpacking again.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I always do (with the exception of socks). I wash my feet and socks before bed when possible and change into some possum down sleep socks that I keeped packed with my sleeping quilt.

I sleep using a silk mummy liner inside of a Nunatak ARC AT quilt. The silk liner keeps the bugs from crawling on me and protects the quilt from harmful vapors (and dirt).

I don't win any beauty contests at the end of the hike, but that's OK.

Might be a different story if you are hiking in extreme cold where your hiking clothes are saturated in sweat. I don't hike in those conditions often so I'll defer to others for their perspective. Remember, this is all for enjoyment and I HATE being cold.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Personal choice. Most of the time I change into something 'more comfortable', cleaner and drier. My "day" clothes often have bits and pieces I don't find comfortable in bed, such as snaps, zippers, collars, cuffs, pockets, waistband etc…So I carry a set of flat seam knit unders, without any extras on them. ZZZZZZZZZ

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

my footie pajamasfooties

Unknown abc

@edude

I've always worn my day clothes to bed with the exception winter campouts, then I bring fleece pajamas over a fresh pair of poly-propylene(did I spell that right?).

cheers

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It kind of depends on your day clothes. If they are wet, you probably don't want them in your sleeping bag. If you spilled your dinner on them, and you're in bear country, you probably don't want them anywhere near your tent, much less your sleeping bag. If you happened not to look before sitting down when in cattle country….

You do have to wash your sleeping bag more often if you wear your grubby day clothes inside.

I always used to sleep in my day clothes. However, since I carry a base layer for insulation anyway, I've taken to sleeping in that. If I wear them outside (which I do when it's cold), my day clothes are over them, so the base layer stays relatively clean. Although I'd never bother taking separate clothes just for sleeping, I do take a pair of 200-wt. fleece sleeping socks. My feet love them!

There have been a few times when I've been so tired that I couldn't be bothered with changing clothes at bedtime and just crawled into the sleeping bag, grubby clothes and all!

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

If you do carry extra clothes just for sleeping, you might want to consider putting the extra weight into down for a warmer bag and then sleeping either nude or in your long underwear.

–MV

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

Take a silk liner to keep your funk off your expensive sleeping bag. As for dedicated sleeping clothes, the only thing I bring is socks. Then I usually go to sleep with the minimum (base) layers I think I can get by with, leaving things to add if I wake up chilled during the night.

The silk liner will add a few degrees rating to your bag in the cold and feel cool to your skin in the summer.

http://www.designsalt.com/detail.asp?pageId=products&pageName=mummyliner&PRODUCT_ID=SM

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yep, save the weight…
    …also ditch the liner bag!

I've slept many many many many many nights in my current down bag with a dirty body and dirty clothes. I've washed it once.
    You and your bag will be fine.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

hard enough sometimes when conditions are ideal, but any strong smell will bother me sleepless

a few ounces well worth it for me

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Note to self: Do not buy sleeping bag from Craig Wisner. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I once tried the silk liner bit. Overnight I got so tangled up in the thing that it took me several minutes to untangle my way out of the sleeping bag in the morning. Plus it did nothing whatsoever to increase the insulation of the sleeping bag. Forget liners!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

I agree that liners are a bit of a pain and get tangled up in the night, making midnight pee expeditions even trickier. I started a thread about this a few months ago. Someone recommended silk pajamas from Sierra Trading Post, although if I could find a pair of those footie pajamas, I might go with those instead. How much do those weigh, Cary?

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

It's completely a matter of personal choice.

If you want to go bed filthy, sweaty and smelly, well that's your choice. If you want to clean up a bit after a hard day and "slip into something a little more comfortable" than that's your choice as well.

Some clean thermals for bed time don't weigh a whole lot and I reckon it's weight that is easily justified by the level of comfort that it offers.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

You should be able to wear all your clothes at the same time except for extra socks and underwear.

I have slept in my hiking clothes and nothing bad happened. However, I do like to clean up at night and sleep in long underwear and dedicated sleeping socks.

My hiking clothes go into a fleece pillow bag. They are dry in the morning and sorta warm.

I enjoy being clean and also warm for night calss of nature. Probably a personal preference.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Extra underwear?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Washing up = good. Changing clothes = bad, mostly because then you have to carry it. The only redundant piece of clothing I carry is two pairs of socks. I find this necessary for happy feet.

That said, I did bring a pair of cotton boxers (see avatar) on my SHT thruhike. And oh, boy they were great. Very nice after a day in spandex compression shorts.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Same as Matt, except I do carry an additional pair of underwear too. Extra socks are key for me. The undies are more of a 3 ounce luxury.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

I think the reason behind this is that when your sweat dry's it leaves salt on you skin which can make you clammy at night. I try and swim in a lake or stream at the end of the day then put the stanky clothes back on. I always sleep warmer clean, I think??? Just a thought. Ali

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

When it's cold, I wear the same wool long-johns and top while hiking and to bed. I make sure that I don't sweat in them while hiking by venting or removing any other layers, which is easy to do in the cold.

However, in hot, humid summer conditions, I pack a pair of silk pajamas (liners get tangled). There is no way to thermal regulate in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, so the 6 oz of silk pajamas is well worth it. One benefit is a more comfortable next to skin feeling and another benefit is a cleaner sleeping bag/quilt.

And yes, Sierra Trading Post is a bargain!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Depending on the temp –

Normally wear clothes to bed.

If cold and extra insulation is needed, then a down sweater and pants are worn. I may bring a vapor barrier liner if condensation is an issure with my sleep/shelter system. Have tried silk liners, they are tangle nightmare.

If warm, then no clothes.

No extra sleep clothes brought, except socks. If water is available, I wash my dirty socks and wear the clean ones to bed. Everyday I rotate the socks.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I 2nd the silk pajamas. Only 6.5 oz for my Lg/med set and double as baselayer, as opposed to single use silk liner. I didn't use a base layer or liner in my bag my first trips last summer (just underwear + t-shirt) and now my bag is stinky and needs a washing. At Sierra Trading Post, you should have to pay more than $30+shipping for a set, and even less if you buy during the right sale.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I used to use a silk liner, but switched to silk pyjamas when I switched from SB to quilt. Much greater freedom all around. I make them myself out of 8 momme silk from ThaiSilks.

As for sleeping with dirty clothes or dirty skin against my quilt: no way thanks! I know how sweaty my clothes get.

Ymmv
    Cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I used to use a silk liner, but switched to silk pygamas…"

American: pajama
    British: pyjama
    Ozzie: pygama?? :)

Yeah, I too started with a silk liner but didn't like feeling entangled. I feel much better after switching to light weight silk long johns.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools