Topic

3 Season UL Comfort

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season UL Comfort

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Here is an UL list (in profile) that I think is a great combination of lightweight gear that also doesn't sacrifice comfort/safety.
    It includes a full protection shelter, full length sleeping pad, full zip sleeping bag, rugged pack, real knife, full rain protection including waterproof jacket with pit zips, pillow, super basic fishing set, and full first aid kit, all for under 8 lbs.
    Please critique.

Also I am thinking of changing a couple things and would like to hear your thoughts

-the flashlight to something a little more powerful such as a fenix light, but I still want something I can wear on my head without needing to have a brimmed hat on

-the bearbag system to something lighter and more durable such as the MLD bearbag set

-switching to a gravity filtration system for longer trips

Thanks everyone.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Since there was such a good response the first go around I figured I would give it another shot… bump…

Unknown abc

@edude

Yes, if comfort and safety is an issue, which you indicated it was, that's an excellent list especially for only 8lbs!

I'm impressed!

cheers :)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Because comfort is your goal, you have a lot of great items that get you there.

Nice comfort pieces: GG the One, NeoAir, BPL Pillow and a great insulation piece.

You also have full rain gear, although have you used the chaps before? Does the Quark bottom hem go low enough to cover your butt and crotch?

I'd recommend you add a needle, thread and seam sealant to your repair kit. I do so any my kit weighs 0.85 oz. My kit is light enough where I am taking it on SUL/XUL trips. See my gear list (profile) and the recent thread on it.

I'd also add waterproof/breathable gaiters. Integral Designs makes a great pair, as does MLD.

What about the weight of your gear worn? It does matter,just not as much.

I'd also be careful with those shoes. I wore a pair on the SHT last May and killed the XCR lining and the shoe after 180 miles.

Great list.

Unknown abc

@edude

Derek, this might be helpful:

http://www.adventurealan.com/lw_gear_list.htm

cheers

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

I don't have the chaps and you are right that the quark may not cover. That I would have to explore more. I also have driduck pants I could sub in for a little extra weight but more breathability and cover, although less durability. Thanks for the repair ideas, I will more than likely add that to the list. I've never really needed gaiters in places I have hiked, but depending on where i go I would definitely consider adding some. Weight of gear worn doesn't matter to me, although it's all pretty lightweight stuff, mostly I just havent bothered to look up the weights. It's a lightweight shirt, running shorts, ex officio boxerbriefs, smartwool socks, a mesh baseball type cap, and the XCR shoes. I have worn the shoes for 500+ miles with no signs of damage or wear, so either I got a good pair or yours may have been bad. Or perhaps there's just a difference in use between us. Thanks for the comments.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools