Topic

Rate Your Hiking Ability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Rate Your Hiking Ability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    glenn fleagle
    BPL Member

@fiddleheadpa

Locale: Thailand

Hello folks.
    I am the originator of the hiking quiz.
    I tried to explain (on my blog) that some of the questions have no point value (hypothermia, gender, among others)

The quiz for me was a fun way to spend a rainy day.
    In retrospect, perhaps there was too many questions, if you didn't hike overseas, you would score lower, same with high altitude hiking.
    The software limited me somewhat and i would've liked to make it so that the average was 50%, oh well.
    I asked some of my more experienced hiking friends what they thought and changed a few questions after hearing from them.

I thought it was fun. (got flamed a bit on whiteblaze but positive feedback from cdt-l and pct-l)

Of course, hiking isn't competitive. But I personally have learned a lot about hiking since i started back in the 70's and still learn more every time I go out there.

100 questions would've been better but boring to most i'm sure.

At least i didn't have any questions about speed, pack-weight, miles per day, price of your gear, etc.

After seeing all the responses and how many hits the quiz got (I know the hiking world is fairly small), i think it would be good fun to make a different quiz for each of the three major trails in the states. I don't know if i have the time but perhaps someone on here would be into it.

I'll check back here to see you responses or you can email me at: fiddleheadpa at hot mail if you like.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I thought it was fun. (got flamed a bit on whiteblaze but positive feedback from cdt-l and pct-l

Hey Glenn, it WAS fun. Keep up the good work…there were a few questions that didn't give me high marks where the options didn't work in my favour. Example, I haven't made my own sleeping bag, but I've made my own ice axe…but that wasn't an option to choose. Another would be that because of hiking for about 20 days in Nepal a few years back, I got really good points on the high altitude questions but have not done many loooong hikes in general.
    I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoyed it. Took my mind of gear for a few minutes. :)

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools