Topic

2 for 1 Dehydrated Meals???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition 2 for 1 Dehydrated Meals???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Thompson

@melakor

Locale: So-Cal

Has anyone tried taking a prepackaged 2 serving dehydrated meal and split it down to a solo meal?

If so how did it turn out, was the taste ok ?

Thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Use a scale for best results to get it even. Make sure as well you mix up the dry goods evenly before splitting.

You may well want to add more vegetables or carbs though – a one serving of a 2 person meal is pretty small.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I find the 2 person meals are really one person at the end of a long day. :)

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

It depends on why you are bringing the dehydrated entree in the first place. If it's just some comfort food then I guess 1/2 of a package might work.

Consider though that most Mountain House entrees are about 300 calories per official serving. Mary Janes Farm packages about 500 calories per "1.5 serving" package with the intent that it really is meant for one person.

I find that 500-600 calories is a good amount for a dinner entree. Less and is doesn't have enough calories to bother with, more and it can be hard to get down if I'm tired. I supplement the entree with things like pudding, cocoa, leftover lunch items, candy, and/or a steam baked muffin to bring the meal up to about 1,000 calories.

That's in the context of a 2500 to 3000 calorie day. If you need more total then maybe a bigger entree would be in order.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I would agree – it needs to be around 600 calories to really fill a person up. But…..the kicker is many freeze dried meals don't have enough fat to keep you full (or fiber!) (And the sodium levels are horrid)

Mary Jane meals are the healthiest commercial meals out there IMO – they have fiber and the sodium is decent.

But…with any meal….add in some oil to bump up the calories and it never hurts to add more dried veggies for more fiber!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I agree with the majority in this thread in that two servings as listed on the packaging of most dehydrated meals is about the right size for one person. I prefer my base dinner to be more than 600 calories and then add some chocolate for desert.

Mark Thompson

@melakor

I've been eating the MH Pro Packs (solo) meal. That fills me up just fine. I just did not want to pay $6.00 for a solo meal when the 2 Serving is only $0.50 to a $1.00 more.
    I have never tried to split a double meal into single servings. I was not sure it could be done, and have it taste right.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Mark- note that the ProPaks are a 16oz serving and a standard 2 serving is 20oz total. No where near double. There is a reason it lists for just $0.50 to a $1.00 more.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

When I'm traveling solo, and happen to carry freeze dried meals, I always split them up in snack or pint baggies. Sarah is right about thoroughly mixing the ingredients before repackaging. You could end up with only corn and a little rice dust in one bag, if you're not careful.

You shouldn't keep repackaged freeze dried food for longer than a couple of weeks. It begins to lose its food value.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I just learned that Harmony House is having a Mother's Day sale–15% off through Sunday. Coupon code is MOM. It's a cheap way to try out their dehydrated and FD stuff. Try http://www.harmonyhouse.com.

Sorry, but I didn't know how to start a new thread.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools