Topic

How many degrees would a climasheild quilt add to a 15d bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How many degrees would a climasheild quilt add to a 15d bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

How many degrees would a climasheild mummy overbag quilt with a 12" foot section add to a 15d bag.

Just as an estimate.

2.5 oz – ??

Combat – ??

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

10* for 2.5 im guessing
    just add the loft to the BPL statement on sleeping bag loft graph and you'll get a good guess (maybe a little overestimated)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Not exactly your situation but I use two quilts;
    * 6oz PL1, sized about right for me
    * 2.5 oz Climashield XP, about 4 inches wider than the other.

I use them alone or together depending on temps I want to prepare for:
    * 2.5oz alone … not yet enough experience to know the limit
    * 6oz PL1, I start to feel cool somewhere around 25*F
    * the 2.5oz over the 6oz, I start to feel cool somewhere between -5*F and 0*F

edit: The tests of the two together were in a bivy. The others were not.

edit#2: I have one single data point where I was toasty warm at -13*F in a bivy on a foot or so of snow, using a ridgerest pad on top of a 1/2" bluefoam pad using a 30*F bag (Marmot Arroyo) topped by both quilts. That was definitely not a lower limit of that combo.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Troy,

A 2.5 oz Climashield XP over bag will result in an EN13537 LLimit rating, for the combined bags, of ~-6.5F.

The closest equivalent Climashield Combat insulation is 2.2 oz. This will result in an EN13537 LLimit rating, for the combined bags, of ~-.6F.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

I thought the Combat climasheild

3.7 oz/sq yd: @.9 " loft. clo=.78/oz. 60 inch roll width. Price: $10.95

was thicker than the 2.5 oz insul ??

2.5 oz/sq yd: @.6 " loft. clo=.82/oz. Total CLO : 2.5 oz * 0.82 clo/oz = 2.1
    60 inch roll width. Price: $9.95

.9" vs .6" so wouldnt it make more of a difference than 1/2 degree ??

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

??

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

combat comes in many weights, not just 3.7oz. However 3.7 is the only weight i know of that is available to the home gear maker. So it would be warmer than the 2.5. (he was showing info for combat 2.2oz)

-Tim

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

And to clarify, I think Richard's post says -6.5 degrees versus -.6 degrees, not versus -6 degrees. The difference isn't half a degree but more like a six degree difference for the 2.5 oz versus the 2.2 oz.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

So if 2.5 oz Climashield is good for -6.5F with my combo, what would 3.7oz combat get me.

I am thinking the 3.7 quilt alone might make a better fall, spring bag, although a little heavier.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I had a 5 yard sample of 2 ounce per sq yard Climashield Combat. It turned out to weigh about 2.2 ounces per sq yard. I made a quilt out of some of it and using that quilt inside my Pertex Quantum and Cuben Bivy slept warm down to the low temperature of the hike at 42 degrees.

I was wearing top and bottom Patagonia #2 Merino wool, hiking socks, a wool hat, liner gloves and sleeping on two 1/4" GG pads.

Your sleeping bag is only as good as the system. That means your sleeping pad or what ever is between you and the ground is just as important as your sleeping bag.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Got it.

I have a full length blue pad, and a short thermorest prolite I put on top.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools