Topic

Tarptent Contrail Vs. Tarptent Rainbow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Tarptent Contrail Vs. Tarptent Rainbow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

Hello everyone,

What a great site. This is my first post.

Does anyone have experience with a Tarptent Contrail? I purchased one not long ago, but Iā€™m having second thoughts. Though I havenā€™t tested the tent in the field, Iā€™m concerned with how well it will hold up in bad weather, particularly strong winds and heavy rains. How weather resistant is this tent? Are there any pitching tricks that increases itā€™s performance? I understand that there were some sacrifices made in order to decrease weight. Is it natural to be uneasy when transitioning to a minimalist tent such as this one? My previous tent was a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.

If I donā€™t come around Iā€™ll consider exchanging it for a Rainbow. How do the two tents stack up? Do the Rainbowā€™s extra features make carrying the extra half pound worth it?

Also, if there are any other ultra lights out there throw them at me. This is a really tough decision.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Some tips….
    Remember to re-tighten the shelter before you go to sleep.
    Add the apex guyline
    Add a pole segment/stick/trekking pole at the rear
    Try the "storm" set up
    When possible set the tail or the front into the wind
    Practice setting it up.
    Have a look at some of this pics for better weather resistance.
    Franco
    Contrail 1
    Contrail 2
    Contrail 3

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1430969/4921727

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I wouldn't say that the Rainbow is any more weather resistant than the Contrail, given the pitch options of the Contrail (see Franco's masterworks) possibly it's the other way around. I haven't used the Rainbow but I've seen some fairly egregious weather conditions in my Contrail, including but not limited to: 40+ mph sustained winds (fun to pitch tents in), dime-sized hail, 48 hours of constant rain (ranging from drizzle to wind-driven), and a cascade of heat seeking pine cones (courtesy of Shenandoah National Park). My version is the '07, which is before Henry Shires redesigned the canopy to pitch tighter, easier.

While the Rainbow probably looks more like what you're used to in a tent considering you're coming from a BA Seedhouse, I wouldn't sweat this. Pitched correctly, the Contrail can handle any weather you're likely to be out in. The only weather conditions I would consider the Rainbow to be better suited for is a good amount of snow.

Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

I was unaware that a third pole could be used in the back. Where would I find such a pole? Mine only came with the two in the back plus the easton pole for the front. The third picture looks very interesting. Could you elaborate on the "storm setup"?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Pole detail
    For most 3 season use the standard set up is fine but if you want to push it a bit i would recommend you use a trekking pole at the front and some pole at the back. That line of tension between the front and rear is what makes it work. (same principle of an A frame tarp set-up) Mine is a section of a spare pole with the tip reversed so that the hole that holds the shock cord, when assembled as a tent pole, becomes the hole for the guyline. Having it that way it means that I can leave that tip attached to the guyline and just insert the pole section into it.
    You can also use a trekking pole ( a bit further back than in my A frame set up) or just a stick.
    BTW , the Rainbow without any help is more aerodynamic than the standard Contrail configuration, but you can also add two guylines to the ridge pole of the Rainbow and trekking poles to the apex cross pole. But as I said , play around with the Contrail so that you get the idea of how it works.
    If you ask a busy shop, likely they will have a damaged pole that you could buy for very little.
    Franco

David Ure

@familyguy

If you think you might encounter any type of snow, I would highly recommend the Rainbow with the optional 9mm pole. The Contrail will collapse in heavy wet snow – in my opinion, even with the Franco Rear Strut (trademarked).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

What he said.
    I really like the Rainbow but use the Contrail because it's lighter, smaller and I have trekking poles.
    If and when I will do winter stuff I will use the Scarp.
    Here is my Rainbow before the pole and apex guyouts were thought of .
    Franco
    Rainbow in the snow

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Welcome aboard, Austin.

I can't really add much more to this thread because BPL's resident expert on all things Tarptent (Franco) has already posted.

However, what I can give you is my perspective as a very contented owner of a Contrail. I have had mine for three years and I really, really like it. It has survived storms, heavy winds, and light dustings of snow. It has never let me down. It's quick to set up, weather-proof, bug-proof, roomy enough for one and most of all very lightweight.

Once you use yours in the heat of battle a few times, I'm sure you'll be similarly impressed.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've used the Contrail extensively and it was almost love at first sight. I'd highly recommend it, particularly if you use treking poles. If not, the benefits are not quite as great. The speed of putting the Contrail is a great attraction to me. After using the Contrail for about 50 nights on the trail I tried a Rainbow, but could never get to the stage of appreciation that I had/have for the Contrail.

Small Rear Pole on Contrail

Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

Thanks for all the replies. They've made me feel much more at ease. I've decided to keep the tent. After all, it's unfair to judge it before I even used it.

Dave T

@davet

Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

I'm unfamiliar with what an apex line is. How would I add a longer one? I guess I just lack the vocabulary.

Dave T

@davet

Austin Lowes
    BPL Member

@austinlowes

Okay, I understand what you're talking about now.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sorry about the jargon..
    Henry Shires is the Master of the Contrail, Franco is the mistress at best.
    Good tip about angling the pole, forgot about that one. On a couple of occasions I just shoved a boot under the pole , too lazy to get out.
    Note that there are also tensioning lines at the front between the corners of the bathtub floor and the outer tips of the beak.
    Keeping the Contrail in tension is only difficult if one wants it to be so.(insert Smiley here)
    Franco
    Contrail front

John Holder

@dripdry

Franco-

Can you please share the length of the rear pole you are using? Also- it looks like you added lines from the guy out to the corner poles. What is the purpose of those?

Thanks!

(Actually- I think that is John's picture- sorry. Are you using those as well)?

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

The ideal rear pole would be 19" to 20" (two section shock corded) with a flat base tip. A 20" pole would allow a slight push into the ground and work better.

The single (orange) extra line you see on the rear of my Contrail was on the earlier versions and I never removed it. It actually hindered the use of the rear pole a wee bit. All other lines, except for the lead from the rear pole are the standard setup.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

John Holder
    Not to boast but mine is shorter than Quoddy's.
    The one I use at the moment is 19" , that is long enough to be slightly higher than the edge of the tent and dig in a little if needed (IE in hard ground. On soft ground it stays there by itself)
    Having that slight raise in the middle gives the Contrail ridge a nice catenary line, by putting that guyline and the one at the front in tension it makes that ridge very firm and (to me) the all shelter more stable)
    In mild weather I often don't bother setting it up.
    Franco

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Austin,

I think what a lot of us like about the Contrail is the varieties of ways to pitch it. So unlike the Seedhouse ( or most other tents ) where what you see is what you get, with the Contrail you have options. There are several pitches shown in this thread alone. I've logged close to 45 nights in the Contrail without any problems. Heavy rain, winds, hail all weathered with nary a hitch.

I would always consider site selection as an important part of setting up any tent. I would avoid bare ridge tops no matter how good the view, as you are a target for high winds and lightening, etc. (voice of experience:-) A more sheltered spot, if possible, is better no matter what tent. I think your going to like the Contrail.

Happy Trails,
    -Mark

Claudia Garren
    Spectator

@spirit4earth

Locale: North Carolina

It seems to me that the beak doesn't really come down far enough to prevent rain from splashing in the front netting. Can anyone give more details on a good rain pitch? I have a Squall 2.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I own a Contrail and like it a lot BUT I'm selling it and getting a Moment as soon as Henry puts it on the market.

The MOMENT is SO much more aerodynamic and looks even easier to pitch than my Contrail. Plus one has the freestanding option with the crossing poles, which I'll get as well.

I need the Moment's wind-worthiness in the western U.S. mountains and I'll use it on bicycle touring trips too.

Eric

haha lala

@trailpirate666

I have a rainbow and my buddie has a contrail. The rainbow has a faster setup but the contrail is easier to take down! We both think rainbow is more roomy However the contrail airs out faster. Both are pretty gnarly tents fo Sho

Don Miller

@ultipiguru

Locale: IOWA

any of you guys putting small woodburners and stove jacks in them like what kifaru does with their supertarp or paratarp models?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools