Topic

Newbie 3 season list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Newbie 3 season list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Here is my current carry for 3 season, mostly solo, 30-80 degree, possible rain, bugs, 4-7 day trips. My goal is to be close to 10 lbs.

I'm new to getting light and I realize I have some heavy items here. Seeking advice. Keep in mind I'm a grad student, so budget is minimal.

I am interested in lighter bug proof, rain shelter ideas, as well as lighter sleeping setup, but money may prevent immediate purchase. I don't have scale yet, but tried to find other member's listed weights for same items.

Thanks for your help!

Total Weight Carried – 15.7 lbs (with pack)

Shelter
    BA SH SL2 (tent body, fly, sack, poles) 49
    Ti stakes 1.3

Sleeping setup
    Marmot Pounder Plus (long) 40
    BMW torsolite 9.5
    GG thinlite 1/4 piece 4

Pack
    ULA Circuit 36
    trash compactor bag (pack liner) 2.4

Kitchen/Water
    MSR pocket rocket 3.3
    MSR 4oz fuel canister 8
    Brunton MY-Ti folding spork 0.6
    GSI Soloist (1liter pot, lid, cup) 10.8
    Platy 1 liter (x2)/doubles as pillow 1.6
    Micropur tablets 1
    mini-bic 0.4

Toiletries/etc.
    3 bpl plus refillable droppers 0.6
    (sunscreen/DEET/bonner's soap)
    Paper towels/contacts/4 alieve/antibiotic/gauze tape/cut tbrush 3
    Razor blade 0.5
    Petzl tikka plus 2.7

Other
    mini liquid filled compass 1
    sea to summit small drybag (minibic/camera/maps) 1
    ziplock for trash 1
    2 bandanas 2

Extra clothing
    arcteryx alpha sl jacket 10
    smartwool genius quarter socks 3
    Patagonia capilene crew L/S 6
    under armor boxer jock 3

Luxury Items
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K 11.2
    Ultrapod mini tripod 1.7

Clothing Worn/Items not in pack
    Mountain Hardwear Canyon L/S 10
    EMS Profile zip-off pants 15
    Innov8 Flyroc 310's 12
    patagonia trim brim hat 3
    under armor boxer jock 3
    icebreaker hiker med crew socks 4
    REI Peak Ultralight trekking poles 16.2

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Have you purchased the ULA Circuit yet? It seems like that would be excessive volume for what you're carrying on this list. If you haven't bought it, or have and haven't rendered it unreturnable yet, you could change to the Ohm (also cheaper) you'd save 15 oz right there. I'm trying out an Ohm right now, and the volume plenty for me. It's only 300ci less. I'm carrying similar items to what you list, but I also have to fit in a bear cannister. I don't compress my sleeping bag either. Still, I have no problem fitting it all in comfortably.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

The Circuit is en route, delivery actually estimated as tomorrow. I figured it might be big for most of my needs, but would give me flexibility of adding bear bag when hiking out West in bear areas, which I do once a year.

Will the Ohm work with Bear bag, my gear list, and food?

David Ure

@familyguy

I have both the Ohm and the Circuit. The Circuit is larger but just so. If you do not use the front pocket it is only 2400 ci and based on your list, I would think you would use some of the front pocket space. A bear canister will not fit in the Ohm.

You are going to love that Circuit!

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

My current gear list is in my profile if you want to check out what I carry. The Tarptent Rainbow doesn't take up much more room that the BA SL2 (I have both). I don't know how small the Pounder compresses, but I don't compress my bag and let it take up the bottom third of my bag. I used the Bearvault 350/400 Solo, with is about 9"x8". My food (up to 4 days worth) is stored in that. It all fits. There are a couple pictures of it packed with my gearlist on the 2nd page of this thread here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19297&startat=20

I'm not really even using the side pockets for storage, and there was room to spare in the extended collar.

Since the Circuit is enroute, pack it with you stuff and see if you need the extra 300ci.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Thanks David and James. I'll see how the Circuit feels with my current load and consider the Ohm. I have two Deuter packs and wanted to try and support a smaller company run by an enthusiast and think ULA fits the bill.

James, the picture of your Ohm with your 3 season load looks pretty full. How does it carry with the external stuff strapped/in pockets? I also see from your list I could save some weight for little cost by going with a different cookset, such as the SnowPeak Ti solo (I want pot and cup). I may also look into other stove/fuel options.

Suggestions on lighter shelter that provides bug and rain protection? Something that takes advantage of the trekking poles I carry, but isn't tough to setup?

I may drop the petzl for something lighter as well.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Those picture are from my 1st evening trying it out, so I hadn't quite got it locked in yet, and I'm getting feedback it might be too small for me. I did like the way it carried though. And as far as it being full, I don't think you want an under-filled pack. The outside pocket is stuffed, but it's stuff with a OR Zealot Paclite jacket, ULA rain wrap, and Montbell Down Inner Parka, plus the tentpoles. So that's only like 26oz. And I could have fit them inside in the extension collar, but want to have those things handy. I could've stuffed that section of z-lite pad inside as well, I was just too lazy for picture taking purposes.

I have very little shelter experience so I'm sure others will jump in. I just got a Tarptent Rainbow used. It has the same silhoutte as the BA SL2, slightly narrower, much longer. Sets up freestanding with trekking poles, but does not require them. The new version weighs 32oz. Runs $225. Tarptent has several other models that are less expensive and set up with poles. Very popular here.

Look on BPL for reviews/info on the caldera cone system. A system with a pot won't cost more than $50-60. Or look at the many home made alcohol stove online. I made a half-way decent one and I have zero mechanical aptitude and no tools.

One of my favorite things about BPL is finding out there's all these cottage gear makers that I can buy from rather than buying the big guys at REI.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

I like the idea of saving almost a pound on the pack. It sounds like I may fare better with the Ohm, especially if I update a few of my items and get a bit lighter/smaller.

The Caldera Cone setup sound like an easy way for me to move to alcohol and keep ease of use. The AGG 3 cup kitchen would drop 1/2 pound for me, as well as lighten load as fuel is used vs carry empty msr canister. I also will look into piecing together my own Caldera Cone setup.

Tarptents do seem well regarded in the forums. I am also intrigued by the 2009 Gossamer Gear "the one". Not cheap, but if I were to sell my BA SH SL2, it would be more affordable and save about 2 lbs. I was fine at 30 degrees a few weeks ago using the equipment listed above. Any worries "the one" would be significantly colder than the sl2 with fly?

Those changes alone would drop me from 15.7 to just over 12 lbs base, with little if any lost comfort or capabilities.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I'm going to use my home-made alcohol stove until I have the money to Ti-Tri cone stove, which is the same and the caldera cone but allow for wood (no need to carry fuel period) and esbit burning. Just costs twice as much. If you have the foil wind screen with your MSR stove, that could aid in a cone-style set-up. I used the one from my simmerlite in making mine, though it just wraps close to the pot, not in cone style. Boils cold water at ~65 room temp in 7-8 minutes.

If I understand tents correctly, cold will be less an issue going to a single wall tarp-style tent than will be condensation, especially in cold temps.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

One thing I thought about last night as a I was trying on my new Ohm last night; the hip belt on the Circuit appears to be much more substantial. The padded wings wrap much further around the hips than do the Ohm's which are short wings and mostly strap, as you can see on ULA's website. They are a little uncomfortable on me. If you think that might bother you, it's another thing to consider.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Chris, you could think about a Golite Shangri-La 3 with some kind of lightweight bug protection if you need it- much lighter than your current shelter, and you use the hiking poles to set it up.
    Mine comes in at just under 1kg (35oz) with pegs, shelter and SMD Serenity Net bug inner- pretty light, but also pretty bombproof.
    Check my gear list, I'm at about 12 pounds with a Circuit.

cheers,
    fred

Chris Benson

@roguenode

The Circuit arrived and I have loaded and adjusted it. First ULA pack I've seen in person and it's very nice! My current gear + five days worth of food and liter of water fits in it fine with room available inside and in the pockets.

James, I think you may be right. I'm going to swap for the Ohm. Most of my trips fit well in the Ohm size and load spec. Thanks also for the note about the hip belt. Brian from ULA posted in an Ohm thread that the belt's padded surface on the large Ohm ends 16" from the center of the back. Using this measurement, I think I'll be okay with the belt. Yes, less luxury than the Circuit belt, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Fred, I like the Shangri-La's design, but, if I'm going to stop using the SL2, I'd like to get to 1.5lbs (.7kg) or less. However, after reading your gear list I am reminded that I do camp above treeline in Colorado occasionally, and need to keep wind stability in mind.

I've picked up some good ideas reading both of your gear lists. Thank you for posting them.

For now, the Ohm will drop almost a pound from my weight, and I'll pick a cone stove setup in the next couple of weeks to shave another 1/2 pound. In retrospect, I'd like to keep the BA SL2. If I wait a little bit, I can use some of my tax refund on a new shelter. That should give me plenty of time to come up with a well-researched short list of possible shelters and take the plunge.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hi Chris.

On the off chance that you have a camera handy, do you think you might be able to upload (or email me) a pic of your circuit?

Actually, I've seen a number of pics of the Circuit from forum members but I always struggle to get a sense of how big it is. If you do end up posting a pic it would be *great* to see a torso shot of someone wearing a circuit… that gives a much better sense of scale than a pic of the pack sitting on the floor (which is the usual case).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there in case you have the means and time to upload a photo. No probs if you don't.

Cheers, Ashley

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Hi Ashley,

Here's a quick pic. I can take time to come up with something better tomorrow. For reference, that's a one liter platy in the pocket and a fully collapsed REI Peak UL pole. The Circuit is a large and my torso length is 23".

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks Chris! I have the same trekking pole as you so that's very useful.

How full is your pack in that pic (I assume it doesn't have all your gear in it)? It looks like you've still got some extra space before you need to start using the extension collar, is that right?

I'm about a 21.5-22 inch torso so would be needing the same size circuit as you.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

everything on my gear list (above) except the camera/mini-tripod, 2nd trekking pole, and extra clothing are in there. I also added a bag of apples (8 ct), and a pair of jeans on top to fill it out and get closer to weight with some food. My marmot bag is just stuffed at the bottom, not in it's compression sack.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Thanks Chris. Looks like there should be plenty of room for my gear. Because I'm often travelling when I go hiking, I actually prefer to have extra space available for carrying extra "non hiking" gear.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Ashley, I would think the Circuit would work well for the extra load when traveling, especially if you get the optional hip pockets and the stay for support with heavier loads.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools