Topic

3d CAD like program for backpack design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3d CAD like program for backpack design

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nate Manchester

@phyter

Locale: Somewhere Nice!

Im looking to design a suspension system for a backpack and would like to visualize/create patterns for the backpack before i actually make one. Can anyone please tell me a program i can use to make something like this? thanks all!

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Google Sketchup is powerful and free. It can be downloaded from the Google web site.

George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

Yup. Google Sketchup fer sher.

Nate Manchester

@phyter

Im pretty proficient with sketch up but it just doesn't do organic type models very well at all! Stove designs and tents or building sure! but when your trying to model a waste belt for example good luck!:) Do you guys have maybe a plugin to work around its limitations? Thanks again guys!

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Maya, or Solid Works?

Nate Manchester

@phyter

Maya Or solidworks…. Spensive but ill try to get a demo, no one on here every attempt this with success using a certain program ??

Jeff S
    BPL Member

@jselby1983

Nate / @phyter,

Shoot me an email if you’re still looking to do design work on a suspension.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Try OnShape, It’s a cloud based 3D parametric modeler that is free.  If you have used SolidWorks, you can use OnShape.  My 2 cents.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I’m using OnShape right now for a tent design, but it’s a very rigorous parametric app and it would take a lot of skill to use it for a rucksack design.

AutoDesk have a product called Fusion 360 that integrates conventional cad with more free-form sculpting tools. I think that would be a better bet. There’s a free licence for hobbyist use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools