Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Thanks BPL, was howling on this one.

Loved the part with Ryan throwing the biker kid trail runners and a energy bar, still chuckling.

Leia Olsen

@hrhjuniper

Locale: southeast Utah

You totally had me until the bit about the motor tours of hiking trails. Although apparently I didn't pay too much attention to the perpetual motion machine.

Also, I weep at the prospect of offending the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

Brian Doble
    BPL Member

@brian79

Locale: New England

I'm planning on doing the PCT with a 3 pound base weight, including my gameboy and a dozen games, one of which is Donkey Kong. Just wondering if BPL will be offering lessons during future Wilderness Trekking courses.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

LOL! I love it. Good job guys

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

Awesome job.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I propose that the ultimate Leave No Trace ORV would be the helicopter. You wouldn't even have to set foot in the wilderness, yet you would retain all those magnificent vistas! Heck, you'd get BETTER vistas! BPL needs to partner with Sikorsky to develop a hybrid-electric personal helicopter!

Speaking of development, Boyd needs to develop a sense of humor… Remind me never to hike with you. ;)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Since it's now April 2, I can communicate about this issue more seriously.

1. I have owned, and ridden, dirt bikes in a previous life, and thought it was really fun. I still have dreams of tearing down the trail on a dirt bike, but now, I think I have an appreciation for the bigger picture. Responsible dirt bikers don't bother me too much, and I do appreciate their willingness to work with and listen to hikers. They are out there, but it's not the norm of the dirt biking community, who seems to have a reputation for feeling offending by hiker's desire for silent experiences. To that end, I think the BRC has made significant contributions on behalf of the ORV community and has improved their reputation. I do prefer to hike in areas without dirt bikes, and I generally advocate for the reduction of opportunities for ORVs on non-wilderness backcountry singletrack. But we have cool areas near Bozeman where I like to hike, and people like to bike. The fact that there are bikers there doesn't keep me from hiking there. I just take different trails.

And on less serious notes:

2. The photo is of a BPL staff member on a dirt bike, and he's proud of it, and he still rides. It's not me, and I'm not telling who it is. And no, we're not going to fire him. Of course, he ain't gettin' any bonus pay either (sic).

3. I really did win the El Dorado Donkey Kong tournament in Reno.

RJ

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yep- that's me, your esteemed Associate Editor on the Husqvarna motorcyle and the other kid is my brother Greg who has also helped with several of my reviews for bpl.

I grew up on a bike- my dad actually had me on an Indian 50 with training wheels at the age of 2…and my bro was only 1 1/2!

My first backpacking actually began in high school when friends and I would go motorcycle backpacking in Eastern Wa. But you have to walk to the really cool places, which got me started with backpacking. The love of simplicity and quiet came next. Yes- I still own a dirt bike but I'm not really sure it runs- it's been years since it was started.

But I do enjoy other activities that use trails. I mountain bike and snowmobile on a regular basis, as well as xc ski and snowshoe. I love all of them but I believe that each has its place and I respect the boundaries that exist. I always love hearing about new wilderness desigation and hope to never see internal combustion in these areas. On the other hand, I've seen many dirt or mountain bike areas close due to development and I regret this loss of recreation.

People will think what they will about other trail users and all have the right to their opinion. Just remember that the next time you see another user on the trail that they might also be one of "us"- at least someday!

Now Ryan- how can I get my hands on a pair of those Hammer pants?

I've travelled round the world, from London to the Bay….

dj

Rob Harrison
    BPL Member

@robhar54

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well, a response to an April Fool's post might be as good a time as any to make my first post…;-)

I just joined this online community. I have been VERY impressed with the quality of the writing, the depth of the technical articles, the wealth of practical advice, the civility of the discussion, and the general spirit of sharing and collaboration. For example, I think it's very cool to see Gossamer Gear making a Henry Shires tarptent design…to see accessories for the TrailDesigns Caldera Cone on AntiGravity Gear's website, and so on. Grant at Gossamer Gear and Rand at Trail Designs have been incredibly patient and helpful, answering my newbie questions. As with other pursuits, working together advances the cause, and is just plain nicer. Certainly lowers blood pressure.

My own work (as a green architect since 1992 – http://www.harrisonarchitects.com/ – depends on and benefits from exactly this integrated, collaborative approach.

Knowing before I clicked that the BRC/BPL partnership was an April Fool's joke, I cringed. You see, I ride a dual sport motorcycle, and occasionally find myself ostracized for my eco-freak views in some fora there. I was hoping I wasn't going to find myself equally marginalized here. I was glad to read that both Ryan and Doug have ridden bikes, and to see there are other riders on this board (Hey Jared). I heartily agree with Doug's post.

I started riding motorcycles ten years ago, after an over-use injury prevented me from riding my bicycle, which had been my only form of transportation. In the continuum of transportation choices that starts with walking and ends with jet airplanes, the modern 4-stroke motorcycle is a lot closer to the walking end, in terms of carbon footprint, noise and emissions. I've finally got the ankle sorted, and (through reading Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking) realized that by reducing my pack weight, I might actually be able to get back into the backpacking I used to do before the injury. And well, reducing "pack weight" is also beneficial when riding a motorcycle off-pavement. :-)

Rob in Seattle

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Roleigh

Yeah, we do have an April Fools Day in Oz.
    And yeah, it took me a short while to cotton on to the gag!

Mind you, the idea of an SF floater with 'zero sound of any type, and zero fuel consumption' does sometimes appeal even to me … :-)

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools