Topic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BACKPACKING LIGHT SEEKS PARTNERSHIP WITH OHV/ORV COMMUNITY TO PROMOTE MULTI-USE HARMONY IN AMERICAN WILDERNESS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Bravo Mr. Jordan! You have taken the first step towards healing the divide between two communities with many similar interests.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

I'm glad to hear this! I've been a dirtbike and atv rider longer than I've been hiking, not to mention believe in sharing! I enjoy both and won't give up either. It's good to hear that a group from the Backpacking community (especially the lightweight backpacking community) is reaching out to help bridge the wall between the two sports!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

I would certainly hope it wouldn't be because of 4/1/09 (even though it was released 3/31 on the pacific coast), even if it seemed a little jovial in parts. otherwise i would have just lost a signifigant amount of respect for backpacking light if they didn't hold to it. A means for change and cooperation, is not something to joke about and i won't renew my membership if that's the case.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

I'm sorry I can't agree with the use of powered machines in the wilderness. I also think that rushing people along the trails diminishes the nature experience. Isn't there enough speed and rushing in daily life? Do we really need to drag it into the wilderness? There are some uses of the wilderness that simply should not be. There is use and there is abuse and machines definitely abuse the land. For example, ATV scars remain for years and years. One of my favorite hiking areas here in Michigan – Pinckney Recreation Area – has been overrun by the mountain biking crowd and it is impossible to enjoy a hike there now. I'm tired of always having to give way to machines.

We do not drive cars, motorcycles, ATVs, dirt bikes, and ORVs into churches. We should show the same respect for the wilderness for it, too, is sacred.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

And if this is what Backpacking Light wants to support, I will not be renewing my membership. Why should I have to wear earplugs to cut out the noise of ORVs?? Why should I have to step off-trail to give way to them? I get enough machine noise in my neighborhood from over-loud motorcycles to gas-powered lawn equipment. I go to the wilderness to escape the incessant noise of the city. I refuse to be part of a group that condones taking the noise of the city into the wilderness. There is no way to have it both ways – you can't have both machines and a wilderness experiences.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

However, if this is an April Fool's joke (and I sincerely hope it is), then I have fallen for it. Go ahead and laugh.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

blahablahablah

Jared Cook

@rooinater

blue ribbon coalition is not about getting orv's into wilderness areas, the main focus is keeping trails that are open, open. Not expanding into "wilderness" areas. orv's don't belong everywhere, but they do belong where they are allowed.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

This is an April Fool's joke, notice they're basically talking about powerless powered vehicles. Kind of like perpetual motion machines. Good one. You fooled a few.

The giveaway is this sentence "The development of completely noiseless ORVs with zero emissions of any type, zero sound of any type, and zero fuel consumption." The idea this sentence allows KTM's zero-emission bike fails because it requires electricity for it's recharging and there is no mention from KTM that it emits zero sound. "Zero sound of any type" can't allow the sound of wheel's turning, braking, etc. The other giveaway was the date, April 1st, 2009.

Hey for those in Australia or Canada, do they have an April 1st there? (if you answer "no", the reply question is "oh, so April starts on the 2nd there?" [grin])

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Does this mean I can now drive one of my Hummers without all the normal flack.

OK, only on 1 April.

Ryan Hutchins

@ryan_hutchins

Locale: Somewhere out there

blahblahablah

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Ryan Jordan just gave me permission to disclose that BPL has entered a partnership with Polaris to develop a JetPack that burns merino wool. The 7 oz version can jet you up to 7000 feet, the 12 oz version jets you over a 12,000 foot pass.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Wow! Now I can take my performance enhancing drugs along with riding a hot motorcycle and really cover some miles!! woohoo!!!

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

But then I read through to the part about the shoes and had a good laugh. Thanks.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

phew thank goodness this is a joke, I was about to cancel my membership!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

He never defined ORV in his article? Ditch the ALL CAPS. That is unnecessary.

Oh, I see it has been outed as a joke. I didn't read it closely…hehe.

Walter Isenberg
    BPL Member

@wisenber

Hopefully this will help foster harmony among ORVers and hikers. The ORV forums are filled with complaints about bear bells and whistles diminishing their ability to enjoy the soothing sounds of an unbaffled two stroke engine.

Constant trail maintenance by the backpacker crowd has also lead to the ongoing destruction of ruts dug into trails that provide needed traction.

By opening the channels of communication between these groups, hopefully we can open channels on the trails and end the noise pollutions created by bells and whistles.

Walter Isenberg
    BPL Member

@wisenber

When will we be able to begin booking the ORV "shuttles"? I am trying to ween myself from performance enhancing substances, but I would still like to maintain my 40 mile per day average.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

A slightly more accurate graphic for this article was suggested but ultimately dropped by the PC-BPL editorial staff.

truth

Charles Reneau

@charley289

Locale: Cascades and Oregon Coast Range

This is pretty edgy guys. . . "hiker-taxiing"? Hiking video games???
    I hope Blue Ribbon doesn't take this the wrong way. On the other hand. . . I have been laughing my tail off.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

LOL @ Bob and his graphic. It was a hard decision to go with the final version I assure you.

Joseph Boyd
    BPL Member

@boydman

Well I could have saved a lot of precious bandwidth this week by deleting the Backpackinglight.com e-mail before even reading. Not one real story in today's edition. Even the pants appear fake. Thanks for wasting my time.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

sad puppy

atleast he feels sad for you…

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

How's that phrase go? Something about the worlds smallest violin…?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools