Topic

low temp limit for esbit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion low temp limit for esbit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

What is the lower temperature limit for using esbit tablets to say boil one and a half cups of water in a metal cup? Can I use half a tablet to boil one and a half cups of water at 25F ambient temp?

Thanks
    Bob

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I dont use esbit, but I have heard that its performance is not affected by the cold, so for the winter, it is a better option than alcohol

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

There is no (realistic) temperature limit to solid fuel stoves. If you are still alive and your match will light, so will the Esbit tablet.

I routinely use 1/2 a tablet to boil 12 ounces of water for a dehydrated dinner in my Evernew 27 oz titanium kettle. Break the tablet before you light it. A windscreen is a must with this stove and how well you shield the flame from wind is THE determining factor in its performance.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Bob,
    Well put. Especially the windscreen. And I would add, a lid for the pot. I also find 1/2 tablet (0.25 oz) effective for boiling 1 1/2 cups of water. The lowest temperature I have used Esbit in was 15 degrees.

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

how do you handle half an esbit tab..do you cut it in half or does it break easily?? does half an esbitt tab travell well without breaking apart??

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Sunny:

The tabs are molded like the old Three Musketeers candy bars, with a thinner section that allows them to be broken between opposing hands, much like breaking a stick.

Note that a fair amount of physical force is needed to do this because you’re trying to break a small, thick piece into two and getting a firm grip on it is not easy.

I’ve not tried to use a knife on them in the field for fear of damaging the tiny Equinox blade that I carry or having it slip and cut my hand. I suppose you could cut several at home with a heavy-bladed kitchen knife or a cold steel chisel. It is their small size, not their density, that makes breaking them difficult. Ever try to break a scored pill with your fingers?

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

Yeah I noticed that..I was hoping somebody had an easy way of doing it..I love the new TI-Esbitt stove-it is now my weekend warrior stove of choice. I hate to blow an entire esbitt tab for a cup of tea. My fingers are not strong enough to snap it in half and I have learned the hard way not to play with knives in the woods. I will experiment at home.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Sunny,
    Don’t sweat it if you have to use the full tablet; just blow it out. A good puff will kill it. The tablet will give off a white, smelly smoke when you do this, but have a scrap of aluminum foil handy to put around the hot tablet to stop it from smoking. The smoke is actually hexamine, and the part that condenses on the inside of the foil is still good fuel – just thin flakes. They light very quickly, and if you shake them off onto the cooled remainder of the tablet, they will make your next start easier.

It is very hard to get uniform pieces when breaking or cutting Esbit. If anyone knows something that is really effective (no guessin, please) let us know. Otherwise, blowing it out is probably the better method.

Too bad the supply of military surplus hexamine has dried up. The mil tablets were about 0.2 oz. and worked fine for a cup of water.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools