Topic

Help for a Novice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Help for a Novice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Zak Randell

@zakrandell

I started fly fishing last summer, landing some stripers in a pond in Maine…. other than that I'm completly unaccomplished.

I'm travelling north, from Denver to Alaska along the Rocky Mtns this summer and would love to fish some beautiful places.

I own nothing other than a few flies. What would you recommend in terms of things to get (budget is definetly a consideration). Used gear is always better in my book and I'll be backpacking with whatever I have so minimalism is good too.

Also what sort of resources are there out there for great spots to fish? Books you might reccomend etc…

Thanks

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

Boozer's thread "starting over" is current, he asked a similar thing. Lot of good info there.

I agree used can be good, except usually people don't want to sell their best stuff. But stick with it, you can get good gear on the cheap. I don't think I've ever bought a used rod, but I've sold a few really good ones over the years.

flies: don't leave home without a #14 float-n-fool

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

Zak,

PM me and I will give you some good information on locations and resources.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools