Topic

Snow Peak Starter Kit on Sale at my local REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Snow Peak Starter Kit on Sale at my local REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

I didn't see the sale reflected on the website, but if you have a local REI… I got the Snow Peak Starter Kit, which includes the Ti Trek 700 mug/pot w/ lid 3.3oz pot /1.2 oz lid; Ti Spork .6oz; and the gigapower manual stove 2.5oz. On sale from $79.99 to $59.99. The stove alone is $49.99, so basically a $10 Ti pot and spork. Good deal for me!

Also should be noted that the 'jetboil' french press .2oz (also sold at rei) fits this 700 mug perfectly. I'm sipping my first cup from this combo right now… This is what really sold me on this setup; a much better cup of Joe on the trail is priceless. We've been using instant for years now.

Cheers!
    Matt

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Matt, I've been looking for something that combines a mug and coffee press for a LONG time. I'm going to look into it immediately to see if it packs away nicely. Definitely goes against my lightweight ethic but coffee is a forgivable exception, right? Thanks!

Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

Just sitting around, so I figured some pics were appropriate… The SP 110 canister fits inside the 700 along with the stove (and hopefully the press parts), but I forgot to pick up a SP canister, so no pics of that. The blue lid here is from an 'anchor' brand pyrex dish from walmart. It fits inside the lip, but is pretty solid, and hopefully will help with some heat retention during 'brewing'. I haven't weighed the extra lid yet, because I'd probably leave it at home. Also the press weighs .8oz not .2oz.

Don, I think giving up the instant coffee will be worth it. Plus I'm a sucker for nice engineering no matter the product.

Sorry I didn't embed pics, BPL was being fussy…

(5 of 5)

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Thanks for the pics! I didn't see the blue replacement lid but I'm curious to see what you found.

You don't have to convince me on the superiority of pressed coffee. I press some every day at work and occasionally bring my snowpeak press that I got as a gift a few years ago. Its relatively heavy so an integrated 0.8oz solution would be great. What do you think of this solution:

* Ditch the lid – heat retention isn't usually a problem for me.
    * Ditch the post that presses the filter screen down. Use a chopstick that serves dual purpose as a measurement stick.
    * Drink the coffee after its pressed in with the chopstick – use the chopstick to dig it out after you're done.

I'd imagine the bulk of the weight is in the metal post so it would be very light after these mods I'd think…

sorry for the poor grammar and spelling – I'm in a rush to get to the PO to ship someone's bug net as promised.

Matt Lauterbach

@ulfamilyof4

The press has a hole where the rod threads in, so I think you'd get some grinds passing through. I'm sure you could find a screw/bolt/threaded rod to fill the hole though… I like the idea of ditching the rod though, that would let me ditch the new plastic lid as well… I'm surprised you're not worried about heat retention. It's gonna take some experimenting on cold mornings to see if it matters for me. The rod is less of an issue, although I don't carry chopsticks.

I've read that the included lid is not Ti, but all the packaging says Ti, and a magnet doesn't stick to it… so maybe Al, maybe these newer ones actually are Ti. I dunno.

Cheers.

Edit: FYI the mug is wide and shallow enough that I can just grab the press without the rod when the coffee is gone.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools