Topic

I have a problem….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I have a problem….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Hi Andrew

As a Kiwi I am very familiar with the vernacular, but I translated it for the majority of site members who are American ;)

Yeah, if bad people are intent on doing you harm AND gang up on you, I don't think there is much you can do about it without an automatic weapon and plenty of warning. Hitting the guy just after leaving a plane when he was very unlikely to be carrrying a ready to use weapon was extra cowardly! To do it in front of all those people was so beyond callous that it makes even a liberal like me wonder if the death penalty isn't a pretty good idea!

Dave T

@davet

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Looking at David's post again makes me think of just how many of us won't even bat an eye to get the bestest and lightest! For example, for any given temp rating — how many of us actually agonized over MontBell's synthetic vs. 650fp vs. 800fp bags? Methinks many of us just went straight for the 800fp. :)

SS synthetic #3 – 40 oz – $145
    UL ss #3 650 fp – 32 oz – $205 – $60 for 8 oz
    UL SS #3 800 fp – 23 oz – $279 – $74 for 9 oz

So David, you are fine.

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

David Ure

@familyguy

I must confess, the two pieces are not the only new gear I recently purchased. But if I told everyone I would be accused of being a 'Boozer.'

(This is a homage to Jonathan, of course)

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

If you are going so far as to post about your gear purchases in a forum on the Internet (guilty as charged…), then yes, you do have a problem – just like the rest of us. Welcome to the club!

I also think you got a bargain in the ounces saved per dollar measure. Hey, whatever it takes to justify it, right? :)

Now that I'm reflecting on some of my recent purchases from Ben's perspective of how much I could have saved by going with slightly heavier gear… oh boy. Thanks Ben, now I realize that I have a problem (not that I didn't already know).

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

It will all be ok. Just accept it. Relish it. Dive in.

You can upgrade anything…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Boozer is right. So go ahead, David, tell us. :)

Dan — My first set of gear, I took the "middle way" — buying all the stuff that were "light enough" and saved a couple of hundred of bucks (eg. Kelty Lightyear 25 in lieu of MontBell, etc.). Problem was that my pack weight approached 40lbs for a weekend trip! Not all that bad considering there were plenty of people hauling 60-70lbs or even more — but still too heavy for my liking.

After my second trip, I swapped out almost everything and cut the poundage by more than half! Thank God for REI "no hassle" returns and for Ebay! I sold my lightly used bag for a buck more than what I paid for when new. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools