Topic

ULA Conduit VS MLD Exodus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Conduit VS MLD Exodus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Ok, I'm trying to decide between these two packs so please let me hear your thoughts on which you would prefer. Both have the same capacity of 3200 cu in and both have the same average max load. The difference is the Conduit weighs 17 oz and the Exodus weighs 13.8 oz. Do the extra 3.2 ounces on the conduit make it a more comfortable and durable pack? Let me know. Thank you in advance for your input.

-Sid

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Oh and also feel free to give me suggestions of other similar backpacks if you prefer it over the two I listed.

-Sid

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

How much weight do you plan on carrying?

If you can't fill these packs, then I don't recommend either. To me, the design of each requires a full load to carry comfortably.

As far as durability and comfort in relation to weight.. well, I find the opposite to be true; at least for the 2008 models. I would suspect the Exodus to be more durable, as I've explained in a previous post somewhere if you search.

The fixed hipbelt pockets of the Conduit is a luxury that is tough to pass up though.

Be aware that the Conduit is designed to ride a little high — which means, as a skinny guy, it requires a little bit of adjusting as I walk – especially with very light loads.

Though that all sounds favorable for the Exodus; but I'm not lying when I say I favor the Conduit for trips – mainly because of the convenient hipbelt pockets.

You can't go wrong with either though, so long as you are using them for their appropriate purposes and loads.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Well, my base weight will be under 8 lbs. I am in the process of adjusting my gear list, however, and I may be able to bring it down to under 7 or possibly 6 lbs. I am also looking at Zpacks and the MLD Revelations, and while I do love the idea of the weight savings, I am not too sure about the durability aspect and I would rather not have to buy a $100 pack every few weeks.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

Don't forget about the MLD Prophet! 2900 cubes w/ the extension collar.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Craig, being that you own the Exodus, you can probably answer this. I plan to use the GG Torso length pad with this pack. Is there a sleeve in the exodus to insert the pad? If not, how do you use the pad to get back support from it? Thanks.

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

A GG torso nightlite might be a bit small to use in the Exodus. I have used a 3/8 thinlite coiled twice inside for winter use and this has worked quite well as a frame. For the spring, I plan on buying a 3/4 length nightlite, cutting just just beyond torso length so that the pad encircles the entire inside of the pack.

Don't forget the Exodus has two volume reducer loops on the bottom to shrink the pack.

Mark Bishop
    BPL Member

@mark_b

Locale: Northwest (WA)

Sid,
    The 2009 version of the Conduit has modular (optional) hip belt pockets. I think this is how ULA is able to show an overall weight reduction for the 2009 Conduit. (17 oz. vs. 20 oz last year) I know it's a personal choice but I wouldn't do without the hip belt pockets.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Ok so what I understand then is the Exodus does NOT have a sleeve to put the pad in, whereas the Conduit has straps to keep a pad in place against the back? Meaning the Exodus would do better with a 3/4 Nightlite that goes all the way around while the Conduit would do better with a Torso nightlight that would be up against the back with the straps? If this is correct, which configurations is more stable?

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I just returned from a short overnight trip with my conduit. The base weight was a little more than yours, but it carries very well. I have used a full length 3/8" ccf pad coiled up. I get extra padding for my back by putting the area with the most pad overlapping against my back in the pack. Then I stuff bag and clothes in first (take up room) then everyting else on top. This is the best way to pack the bag (I think), becasue if you need more room, just push and the bag/clothes compress in the pack.

I love the conduit, and cannot over state this pack's comfort.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools