Topic

Make Your Own Ursack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Make Your Own Ursack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

Wouldn't it be easy to make your own Ursack? What material is it made from?

Or, what REALLY strong materials would be resistant to rodents?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

There was a guy that posts here, Joe something, that had used an old airbag to make a stuff sack. He posted about it on Thru-Hiker forums, he posted it unded "air bag bear bag" i belive, and his handle is needtoboat.

I was very interested in it but it didn't seem like after making it he used it much, or at least i didn't see much as far as updates.

-Tim

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

I made my own DIY version of the Ursack from some Kevlar sheets from a bullet proof vest. I bought the Kevlar from Ebay. I don't know if it's actually "bear-proof". I made it mainly for protection against critters, like mice and raccoons, getting in my food bag. Details here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=639&

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ursack's are bear resistant not bear proof (nothing is bear proof – even canisters).

Having said that…you could make one, but sewing it would be the hardest part. Cost wise, I would run that out and compare to just buying an Ursack (which are not that pricey).

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

MY DIY version above only cost me $5 to make. The Kevlar and Vectran material is not hard to sew. I've also made a slightly larger version from a Vectran car air bag. I have gotten several air bags for free from body shops (I work in the automotive repair industry). Body shop normally just throw exploded air bags in the trash.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

I found this site…

http://www.discountcomposite.com/#kevf

I'm just not sure which denier to get or how many ounces per yard. Is it K29 that I would need?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

What I meant about the sewing is that it is the weakness in a bag – by that, if the stitches fail, the bag will fail if tested by a bear.

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted this information here for others to come across. It's a fine idea! Couple issues, though. First, Ursacks aren't made of kevlar or vectran! (I believe they've stopped using vectran, and if they used kevlar it's been years.) However, Ursack Minors are kevlar, but not for bears.

Next point is: it seems car air bags are nylon 66, not Kevlar (used for lifting air bags) or Vectran (for the Mars rover air bags). According to this document, this abstract, and this post.

Okay, so who's got the bright idea on cheap sources of spectra, vectran, and kevlar..? :]

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ross and Jerry,
    Thanks for that very helpful info.

Ross P Hemphill

@rbimli

Locale: PNW

No problemo. Sometimes I'm amazed at the discussions that don't get picked up or over. Anyway, I'm glad when I can make any contribution to this great resource and thus slightly lessen my "karmic debt!" Anyone else still thinking about sweet super-cheap gear made from Tyvek envelopes?

By the way, Sam: how're the colors doin' over there, or are they..? (Mmm, NE in the fall…)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools