Topic

hot knife buying advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hot knife buying advice?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

By accident I recently discovered that a simple snap-blade box knife works better than a roller cutter on silnylon. Surprise. Searing is rarely very useful and there is always the danger of melting lightweight fabric too far.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I think the issue of blade losing heat quickly can be addressed by using a hotter (watt++) knife. Heat loss is proportional to area of contact. When using a knife edge vs knife tip, you either need a MUCH hotter knife or you cut slowly. Hot knife like the ones used by professionals for cutting synthetics are hotter and also much more expensive.

>That way it either cuts due to the heat or not at all.

Thats a good trick.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Joe, thanks for sharing this interesting info.

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

Chris, I have used an impulse sealer similar to the one you link to at Harbor Frieght to seal tyvek. It does work. Tyvek is a PE and heat seals easily.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools