Topic

Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpinlite Gear Bug Tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Tent is 9.2 oz with stuff sack or 8.9 oz without. Comes with the floor corner seams sealed. Workmanship appears as high quality as the other cottage gear I've owned. I contacted Gen at Alpinlite and asked how long it would take to get me the tent this past weekend. When he told me it'd ship out Mon or Tues if I put the order in over the weekend I went ahead and ordered it. Got it today delivered as promised.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Very nice, Chris!

Can you give us the actual measurements in width and height? Also, when sitting up, do the mesh rise up pretty darn close to your face?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

It looks just like the MLD Serenity shelter except for the color. I thought you were a MLD man-man! No matter what it looks like a solid bug shelter–I was just looking at Alpinlites tarps.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No such thing as an MLD man-man! We're all gear-sluts here. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey – its the BA Fly Creek without the Fly….and of course the pole structure.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

HAHAHA – that's exactly what I thought!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Yes we are Ben (Gear Sluts),, I want to try out every cottage gear shop in North America. Lets see have purchased from BPL, GG, MLD, SMD, Golite, Trail Designs, Mini-Bull, Nunatak, WM, OR. I know I have bought from even more?????? Let me think???

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I'll get measurements over the weekend Ben. I have some seam sealing to do and more gear to play with so I'll set it up again.

Re: sitting up.

If I sit up at the front near the door the top of my head just brushes the top of the tent. For reference I'm about 5'8 but shorter legs and longer torso than average.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Jay — you need help (just like the rest of us)!

Chris — Thanks! Have fun playing with your new toy. If you are so inclined, feel free to snap a few shots with pad and bag (or even you) inside — just like the photos in Moontrail.com. :)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Haha. Good idea. I'll put the GF on photo duty.

Michael Chudzinski

@oknowa

Chris,that looks like a winner. I look forward to your review/info.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Someone needs to finish their raking…

Edit: Nevermind. Bad joke. Just realized that is some sort of pine/mulch mix for the spring.

Very nice little bug shelter though. What will you be putting over it?

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

From their website:
    Specs
    Materials:
    1 oz No See-Um netting
    1.1 oz. Ripstop Nylon
    (with Silicone Blend Impregnation)
    Dimensions:
    – Height: 36" at head / 19 " at feet
    – Width: 34" at head / 24 " at feet
    – Length: 7'
    – Floor Area: ~ 17 ft2
    Average Weight:
    8.9 Ounces
    (does not include guylines, stakes, or seam sealing)
    Tie-outs:
    4, 1 @ each corner (1/2" Grossgrain webbing)
    2 on ridgeline (loop of cord)
    Guylines:
    8' x 3/32" dia, nylon
    6' x 3/32" dia, nylon
    Zipper:

Is it just me or does the photo look taller than 2" more head end height than width?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I just checked the width and height and they're as specified above and on the site.

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

Cool, looks like a great piece of gear at a reasonable price with great availability.

I called MLD about their Serenity Shelter/Patrol Shelter and they are back-ordered for weeks.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Ignore the ugly model.

More here

Unknown abc

@edude

Very nice. If one were to combine that with a Cuben Fiber fly you would have a very cool 3-season Shelter that would come in at under a pound!

cheers

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Mike — thanks for the specs.

Chris — thanks for confirming — and for the pics! Who's that ruggedly handsome model? :)

Looking at the pic of you sitting up at the door way makes me wonder if the shelter height is still OK when sitting on a self-inflating pad — or worse, a 2.5" air pad? OTOH, a little bit of cramping is a small price to pay for the huge weight savings here…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Ben,

Yeah, I forgot the pad in the house but on a 2.5" pad you'd definitely have your head in the net when you sit up unless you're say 5'6 or shorter.

-Chris

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Curse you, Chris, but I think I will spring for one. It's ALL your fault! (wink)

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Haha. Well, I definitely like it. Gonna be way better than a regular bivy in SE summers on solo trips.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Cool. I didn't know this existed until I dug this thread up doing a search on the Serenity Shelter. It looks almost identical, maybe a hair heavier because of the heavier mesh. I emailed him to see if he would do a custom sized one as I want something a bit bigger to go with my new SpinnShelter. I also emailed Ron at MLD.

David Ure

@familyguy

Brad, keep us posted. I like what I see.

Thanks to Chris for this original thread.

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

Brad, Alpinlite actually offers two sizes of these bug shelters. The Bug Shelter 1.5 might be the size you are looking for.

Links:

Bug Shelter
    Bug Shelter 1.5

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Unfortunately, the size that I am looking for is in between the two sizes. I did however email him about a custom size, and while he said he can't always do custom work, said he could adjust the size if I needed it.

So, Chris, Do you have an update on yours? How do you like it so far?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools