Topic

BB Ultra + Tibetan Titanium 1100 = Fit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BB Ultra + Tibetan Titanium 1100 = Fit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a hard time with Dan's photo of that brand new Tibetian pot on the wood fire.The BBU has been a delight when I can use it. I don't think I could bring myself, however, to desecrate a brand new titanium pot with dirty soot.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I don't think I could bring myself, however, to desecrate a brand new titanium pot with dirty soot.

That's the beauty though, after the first time, it's not new anymore. What's worse is that the BushBuddy is d@mn near a work of art, and there is no way around making it all dirty as soon as you use it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

is the toughest to get over:newBB
    BlazingBB

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Jonathon- I love it! A present… sometimes you just need to… um, celebrate… life?!

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

BB Ultra is in…

4.75 oz
    135g

:D

It's pretty, but I know it wants to get dirty ;)

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Jonathan – your weight is the same as mine. I guess the 5.1 ounce spec is no longer accurate.

Don't be shy, stick in your wood and get dirty! ;)

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

On my way to lighten my load, and due to some unfortunate incident with my Trangia, I decided to get the Tibetan Titanium 1100 as a new pot, and will also order a BB Ultra.

I have a question though: Do you also use the Tibetan Titanium with other heating systems, eg TD Caldera Cone?

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/trail_designs_caldera_cone_stove_for_msr_titan_kettle.html

If yes, do they fit nicely into the TT?

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

I made a shorty pepsi stove that weighs .3 ounces and a windscreen that weighs .6 ounces. The setup uses the BushBuddy pot stand as the stand. The stove fits in the BushBuddy easily for storage, and the windscreen nests between the BushBuddy and the TT 1100. I have a small 8 ounce capacity alcohol container that weighs .5 ounces, so if I want I can add in alcohol capability for only 1.5 ounces plus the amount of fuel I decide to bring.

This would likely be used in the event that it was raining and I was tired and hungry. I just threw it together a few days ago, so I've only used it in my little workshop. I haven't decided if I'll actually bring it much or not.

I can post pictures this evening if you're interested in it.

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

The BushBuddy cleans up nice in the dishwasher. The sooty pot? That's a different problem ;-)

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Dan, photos would be great =).

Do you think the TD Caldera Cone would fit in the whole mix? Or is it too big?

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

I finally did further testing with some alcohol stoves I had made to pair with the BushBuddy. I found the best I was able to do was boil 2 cups of cold water on 2/3 ounce of alcohol. It took about 5:20 to do this. After about 40 seconds more, it finished running. 1/2 ounce was not able to boil 2 cups of cold water, but would boil 2 cups of room temperature water.

The finished stove and windscreen weigh a combined .75 ounces (.25 stove and .5 windscreen). The stove is tiny – only 1 inch tall and made from Red Bull sized energy drink cans. Maximum capacity is only one ounce. I think I could probably boil 3 cups, but it would be close and dependent on water temp.

It's so short because the BushBuddy pot stand isn't very tall and you need enough room for the flame between the stove and the pot. Here are a few pictures.

Pot on stand with stove and windscreen:

BB-Alcohol-Screen

Pot on stand with stove burning:

BB-Alcohol-Flame

The alcohol stove, windscreen, BushBuddy Ultra, Firesteel, and pill bottle with 40 vaseline soaked cotton ball tinders all fits in the TT 1100:

BB-Alcohol-Nested

Tiny 1" stove compared to my normal Red Bull stove (haven't brushed the print off yet):

BB-Alcohol-Stoves

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Dan – thanks for the pics.

You've inspired me to try the MBD SSBIT alcohol stove w/ the BBU to see if it works also…when I get some time.

I took advantage of the exchange rate a couple of weeks ago too. It arrived swiftly and I was pleased to discover that the Bushbuddy Ultra fits just right inside of my old MSR Titan Kettle w/ the lid upside down. It will need a rubber band, strap, or sack to keep the lid on – I think it's only appropriate to get a Cuben fiber ditty bag from zpacks.com for this set up!

My Bushbuddy set up weights are as follows:

Stove = 4.7 oz.

MSR Titan w/ lid = 4.3 oz.

Total = 9 oz.

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I read this thread a while back. Besides the banter being pretty darn amusing I was also impressed with how much you guys really liked this stove. It's safe to say the Bushbuddy has practically developed a cult! So I finally pulled the trigger on an Ultra yesterday and a BPL SUL-1100 pot to boot. I would have jumped on board a couple years ago but I was concerned about the soot being messy and it being a hassle to keep stuff clean. So have you BB owners found the soot to be a non-issue now that you've been cooking with it for a while? If it is an issue how have you been dealing with it? Does the smoke smell migrate to clothes, food and other stuff in your pack?

Thanks for the help!

Gordon

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Gordon, I got myself a BBU and a TT 1100 pot in May and have been it using on every trip so far. I pack the BBU in the TT pot and in the orange mesh bag, and then in a small plastic bag to avoid any soot getting into my backpack.

My TT pot is covered from top to bottom in soot, and I haven't yet bothered to clean it off. For me its a non-issue, although it can be a bit annoying to get soot on your hands if on the trail.

Concerning the smoke, I seem to attract the smoke as wherever I sit down the wind will change its direction to blow the smoke towards me =) So the cloths I am wearing smell a bit of smoke, though it doesn't bother me. If you would practice a "cook on the trail an hour before you find a campsite" approach I am sure you could be able to get minimal smoke smell into your gear, or you just pack your gear at camp there where the wind doesn't blow. Finally, I find the BBU does produce only a limited amount of smoke at all, so depending on the wood you're burning it could be non-existent.

I hope that answers your questions. Have fun with your BBU and let us know you like it!

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools