Topic

BB Ultra + Tibetan Titanium 1100 = Fit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BB Ultra + Tibetan Titanium 1100 = Fit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Last week I realized that the US to Canadian exchange rate was in my favor. I ordered a BushBuddy Ultra directly from Fritz for only $91 including shipping. It showed up today, only 9 days later.

The next day I was trying to get my hands on a BPL FireLite 1100 to nest it in, but I had no luck. I found a thread that mentioned that BPL sourced their FireLite from the same company that makes a brand called Tibetan Titanium. I don't know if this is actually true, but a few minutes in google later, and I was placing an order for a Tibetan Titanium 1100 for only $44 US including shipping from the UK.

Through some magical twist of fate, both showed up on the today in my mailbox at the same time – one from Canada and one from the UK. It was like Christmas – you know the feeling! One thing I wasn't expecting is the fairly protective bright orange stuff sack the TT 1100 came in.

The BB looks amazing – exactly as cool as I'd expected, except smaller. The TT 1100 and lid are typical Ti products. The BB nests nicely right down in it. I don't think the handles are useful for use with the BB, and add weight. I may remove them and put on a bail. The lid doesn't fit perfect, but that's par for the course with Ti stuff, so I don't care. The stuff sack won't keep soot out of my pack, and weighs more than is necessary. I may not use it, but it's sort of padded and would offer some protection.

Now for the details, what really matters… The specs:

BB Ultra = 4.75 ounces!
    TT 1100 = 4.0 ounces
    TT Lid = .75 ounces
    TT Stuff Sack = .625 ounces

Total Package = 10.125 ounces

TT1000-Sack

TT1100-BB

TT1100-BB-on-top

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Dan – I had already marked it off my list. Now you've gone and made pictures. I have to have one now.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I have the 900 pot from them. The bushbuddy fits inside with the lid upside down. The lid is easily held down by the stuff sack.

Bushbuddy

Sean Mantell

@seanmantell

Locale: SoCal

How does that mesh stuff sack deal with the soot. Does any get through, or is that enough?
    EDIT: Nevermind, I just read the original post more thoroughly.

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

I was skeptical of the stuff sack too at first. But I haven't noticed soot coming through in use. The BB doesn't generate that much soot in the first place. I also think the slightly absorbent and thicker material of the stuff sack may work better than slippery sil-nylon at holding and limiting the amount of soot. I do notice that the outside of the sack is starting to look dirty, or sooty, but I think that is mostly from my hands. The thick material may also protect against crushing the pot when stuffed in a pack, so I think I will keep using it.

I also have found the handles to be useful and that they don't heat up too much. I try to keep them out of the main flames, and am generally careful before trying to pick it up, but with light gloves or a paper towel, the handles work fine.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Michael – thanks for the tips! I may just use it as is now and see how I like it before I change things.

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

Tibet Ti pot- BB

Nice fit, cool symbol on the pot, and 10+ oz with no fuel to carry is great.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

@Dan

>BB Ultra = 4.75 ounces!

Was it really that far under spec? That's some good luck!

Edit: From your pictures, it looks like the opening on the pot stand has been widened! Have others with this new design experienced similar weights? Fritz should publish that new weight if so – that's a good 1/3 ounce.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Was it really that far under spec? That's some good luck!

Hence the exclamation point! It's only 135g – I was really pleasantly surprised.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

I did a little test with the new pot. It's been raining all afternoon, so most of the twigs I had to pick from were wet, but it burned them no problem. Impressive – I freaking love this thing. It's one of the most gratifying pieces of gear ever, and I can't wait to get it out on the trail.

Anyway, the handles on the pot didn't get hot at all. I had no problem grabbing the pot of boiling water (pictured below) by the handle. I think I'll keep them attached for now and see how it goes.

I wonder how the thickness of the TT compares to the FireLite 1100 – is it heavier duty? Judging by the weight difference, it must be.

bushbuddy-boil

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Dan, nice set up.
    It helps a lot to keep those handles cool if you separate them, just in case the wind blows the flames that way.
    Franco

Randy G
    BPL Member

@rando3369

Locale: Western NY

Looks familiar. This is the 700mL Ti Pot from Backcountry.com and it's stuff sack (if the pictures come through).

backcountry pot stuff sack

backcountry 700mL pot

Anyway they look like the same manufacturer. I like the logo better on the Tibetan.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Franko – thanks for the tip on the handles! Makes sense. I learn something knew every day.

Randy – I cheked out the BC mug – I'd say it's the same manufacturer. I wonder why they don't carry the 1.1L version I have?

Randy G
    BPL Member

@rando3369

Locale: Western NY

Maybe BC.com will be offering the 1100 soon. I think they are ramping up their in-house branded items, although the current state of the economy could change that.

At least they seem to be very close on with their advertised weights. The website lists the 700 at 105g(3.7oz) and my scale shows 109g (3.8oz). Good enough for me.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

For $91.oo you better be able to smoke it. Ali

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Dan,

The side pocket on the pouch holds a BPL folding Ti spoon perfectly, too. I suspect it's made by Tibetan, too.

Todd

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

a $91 stove (shipped)

the pot was $44 (shipped)

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

For $91.oo you better be able to smoke it. Ali

Ali – as mentioned above, the stove is $91, not the pot.

…and yes, it does smoke since it burns wood.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I think these ti mugs/pots are all coming from the same source. Last year I ordered a Brasslite 550 when I could not get an in-stock BPL 550. Well the brasslite looks just like the others: 1100, 700 etc…just smaller and it even says Tibetan. It too came in the same orange padded stuff sack. I purchased a BPL 550 caldera cone and it exactly fits the brasslite 550.

When everyone was doing the Backcountry coupon craze I caved in and bought a snowpeak litemax stove and the BC 700 ti pot. The 700 looks to be a great mug too and it holds a small fuel canister and stove perfectly.

Here is a pic with the BL 550 on the left and the BC 700 on the right. The fuel canister fits in both pots, but the 550 isnt large enough to hold the canister and stove with the lid on.

pots

Jamie

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

I just did a search and found lighthound.com sells the tibetan stuff. The have a 450 (no lid), 700, and 900 pot. I've never purchased from lighthound.com, but I would recommend these mugs/pots. They are light, perform well, have lids, and are reasonably priced.

Jamie

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I've been resisting the BBU for over a year. This thread started me thinking about it all over again since I already have the FireLite SUL-900 that it fits into perfectly. Yes, I broke down and ordered it from Fritz. This is my birthday present from my wife.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I understand John – mine was a Thursday present from myself.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jonathan
    You win the comment of the day competition.
    (made me laugh)
    Franco

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Jonathan – You win the comment of the day competition.

Agreed, I almost spit my beer out!

I'm glad I was able to inspire people to part with their cash. Fritz builds one hell of a piece of gear. You will not be disappointed.

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

I gave up my zipstove after it continually ticked off my hiking partners. They didn't like the smoke. The soot was kind of a PIA too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools