Topic

Golite Ion Modifications

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Golite Ion Modifications

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I finally got around to adding the mesh pockets to my Ion. The pictures don't do my piggy sewing justice but its sturdy. I'm looking forward to a warm weather trip to try it out on.

Ion mod

Ion mods

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

looks good! how much did it add to the weight of the pack?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Awesome stuff!!! What is the added weight and possible extra CI??

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Where did you get mesh?

Thanks Jim

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

I finished up late so I didn't take time to measure the weight. I'd estimate its only an ounce or two putting me in the 10 to 11 oz range.

I got the mesh from OWFINC.com. If I make a rev 2 effort I'd probably look for stretch mesh and add the bungee system over the back pocket. I intended to do that this time around but forgot to do it because the sewing machine and I weren't getting along last night.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

did you take the pack apart or just sew it straight on the pack? That's the main thing that was keeping me from buying the ion, but if i could find some mesh… hmmm… now you got me thinking…

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

I took out the seams down the side and left the rest of the pack intact. That gives you enough access to sew the long runs without getting the fabric twisted. I think it would be tough to do a very good job without ripping out those seams.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

that's what i figured, but figured i would ask. I just couldn't envision my sewing machine doing it with out tearing the pack apart. thanks.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

Don- That's some darn good sewing and a nice looking Ion. I wonder when Golite will get their act together and realize that most of the serious users of this pack are lusting after just this kind of mesh pocket system.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

about the time they realize they need to quit adding weight to their larger packs… I'd like to be down to an Ion by the end of the year and if i were to add this nifty modification i could easily be down for using an Ion. I store my water outside the pack and would like somewhere to stuff a wet tarp or bivy away from my bag or quilt.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

I'd doubt Golite will ever get around to adding the mesh. Luckily, you can buy a Gossamer or MLD pack and get the same end product with more options available and better fabric. I got this one on a steal and wanted to try out my sewing skills. I think I was in a little over my head but it worked out.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Final weight: 10-3/8 oz

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Looks to me like you did a great job!

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'm trying to modify my Golite Ion by putting two side bottle pockets and a rear pocket that will hold a 2L platy.

On the second picture of this thread's original post, the side pocket follows the curved seam, however that pocket doesn't look big enough to hold a 1 liter bottle. I can make a square billowing pocket, however how do you make a billowing pocket along a curve? I can't seem to make a pattern that will work.

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

One of the flaws of my first revision was underestimating the amount of material required to allow sufficient volume for storage. I wanted to keep water in the back of that version and there's no way to get anything of significant size in there with the pack full. I'm doing two things to address this in my next version:

1. Use stretch mesh.
    2. Add more material to give volume to expand. I made my original pattern by tracing the associated panel on the pack and freehanding about 2 inches of spare material (1 in on either side). This results in almost no storage space – should have been obvious. :( On my new pattern I cut the template down the middle then added the spare material between the two halves by taping in paper of the right width. You can use this as your new pattern to cut the panel of mesh or stretch mesh. Sew both sides, then sew the bottom using darts to take up the slack.

I hope this helps. Let me know if something wasn't clear.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Thanks for the response.

Are you describing the process for the back or side pocket? I'm only confused about the pattern for the side pockets as I can't figure out how to make darts or pleats along the curved seam without negatively effecting the alignment of the seam.

An alternative might be to not use a pattern and just use a lot of material and sew along the curve making pleats as I go until I get to the bottom where the shoulder and hip straps are attached, then sewing the side straight up to the top of the pocket. I could then trim excess material, but this way would probably leave more room for error?

At this rate, I might just end up putting traditional square bottomed side pockets on, although they would have to be higher up on the pack than desired to avoid the curve. Stupid curve.

EDIT–Actually, is it even necessary to make pleats or darts along the curved seam? Can I just make 1 or 2 larger pleats at the corner by the pack strap connection?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools