Topic

Help with pyramid apex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with pyramid apex

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am going to make a 10x10x6 pyramid. I am pretty good to go on most of the seams/assembly. But, I am having a hard time deciding how to made the apex where the pole goes.

As far as I can tell the basic pyramid will stop short of the top. Then some reinforced material is sewed on (like cordura) and a silnylon cap over that to make it waterproof.

Am I heading in the right direction? How do I make the 4 sides of the cordura come together at the peak with the silnylon over it? I am stumped!

Thanks for any advice!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Sounds like a question for TM…

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

what i have done…

cut the sil pieces so they go all the way to the top. Sew the reinforcement pieces on top of the sil pieces(fold over raw edges). So each side has 2 sil pieces and 1 reinforcement piece that covers it. Then all for sides get sewn together. After sewing each side on finish the felling of the seam and then do the next side.

The reinforcement is done once each panel is sewn together before it is sewn to the adjacent one.

I am not very good at explaining things, hope this helps.

-Tim

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Ben,
    Here is a link to were you can find a photo of the center apex section I used on my mid built using grossgrain material … If I remember correctly.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7965/index.html

Just another idea. Also, you might check out MLD's site as I think Ron has a few photos showing what his apex looks like. His designs and shelters are always top notch !!!

Kevin

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

SO, I sew each side together and to get 4 triangle panels, then I sew reinforcement at the top of each triangle. Do I make the reinforment the same size as the panels at this point? Then I sew the "corner" side together to bring all 4 sides together.

What do I do when I get to the very tip. how so I sew the tips of the 4 panels together at the top? DO I just sort of bunch them up at the tip?

Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone have a picture they could post that shows this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools