Topic

Nalgene Canteens…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nalgene Canteens…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laurence Daniels
    BPL Member

@gnr

Locale: Boston

How many people use the collapsable ones, as opposed to hard Lexan bottles, and what sizes are people using? I bought a 48oz one, to experiment, and it instantly seems way too big for me to use effectively, both drinking out of it and carrying it re: weight. I currently use either 1 Lexan 32oz bottle and drink alot when I’m at a water source, or I carry a bladder on my back. Thanks for any thoughts. Laurence

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Do Platypus collapsible “bottles” count? If so, then I have two 1L size and one 2+L size.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

I carry a 2l. bladder in my bag…that never comes out. I also carry a 2l. collapsable widemouth nalgene for scooping and “chemicalizing” water. I had also been carrying an empty 32 oz. Nalgene to use as a drinking vessle while in camp…especially for electrolyte “juice” at the end of the day…but I am considering other lighter weight options.

I agree that the collapsables do not make good frequent drinking vessels. They can be great for booze or things you might pour off once in a while…or for treating/transporting water.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

It depends a little bit on the trip and available water. My usual setup is to drink through the day from a 1L Platypus, with a pull top, and a wide mouth 1L Nalgene soft cantene. Both soft bottles are carried in pack pockets.

If I don’t need to carry much water then the Nalgene is empty. That wide mouth bottle can be handy for scooping water in some places. I also usually carry a 2L Platypus for camp use inside my pack.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have used the Nalgene soft cantene in the 32 ounce, 48 ounce and 96 ounce sizes. I have also used the Platypus bags in the 1 liter, 2+ liter, 3 liter and 4 liter ‘big zip’ reservoir sizes. Some of them I have had for years. Both have their pros and cons.

The Nalgene bags work well with the MSR water filter as they screw right into the bottom, but the wide mouth can be hard on the back if used as a hydration bladder in your pack. The Platypus bags have a smaller opening so it is easier on your back when used as a hydration bladder, but can be a little more difficult when chemically treating

For carrying water to the campsite, I prefer either the 96 ounce Nalgene bag or the 4 liter big zip Platypus. I like to make as few water trips as possible once camp is set. Both have a large opening for filling and can make it easier when chemically treating. If I bring my MSR Filter, I prefer the Nalgene bag. Both work well with an H2O Amigo gravity filter, but the smaller Platypus bags may take a little more care with the gravity filter.

Another thing to consider is the time of year. In winter camping, the smaller opening of the Platypus can freeze shut faster than the wider opening of the Nalgene.

There is a thread in Food, Hydration and Nutrition that shows a Nalgene Cantene where the top is replaced with an Aqua Mira filter and squeeze cap for a compact water bottle with filter included. I suspect you could use a straw filter with a Platypus bag.

I have read a recent thread on ‘Pee Bottle’ in one of the posts on this site and I must admit, it has shed light on yet another use the Nalgene is more adaptable for compared to the Platypus.

IMHO, I believe the biggest advantage of the soft side water bottles (bags) offered by both Nalgene and Platypus is the ability to provide the opportunity to carry bulk water storage in a more compact and lighter manner when not in use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools