Topic

No more new gear for me…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique No more new gear for me…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

I have decided that I will not purchase any more new gear this year.

My base weight is a very comfortable 4kg and that is light enough for me.

I have 6 backpacks, 5 sleeping bags, heaps of sleeping pads and too many stoves to count. In short I have an addiction.

So I am taking a break from all the shopping and I'm going to spend more time actually bushwalking.

There – I feel better already.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Know exactly how you feel and tried doing it myself. But somewhere along the line you get caught up in it again. It's really weird how UL enthusiasts probably have more gear than most traditional walkers… they're light on the trail, but beasts of burden at home.

joe w

@sandalot

nm

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

I just realised that I have 7 sleeping bags and 8 backpacks.

I'm sicker than I thought!

NO MORE NEW (or old) GEAR FOR ME!!!

(I can do this, I can do this….)

joe w

@sandalot

nm

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Andrew,
    All the best with your goal of buying no NEW gear, I have some SECOND HAND gear you can buy if you feel the need!

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Oh my god, Joe – I forgot about my shelters!

Let's see. I have:

* TT Contrail
    * Gatewood Cape
    * GG The One
    * 2 BPL Tarps
    * 3 assorted other tarps
    * and 5 other tents (not lightweight though)

I think that's it. But stand-by for a future edit… :p

And as for you Brett: Get thee away from thine own bushwalking gear cupboard, evil tempter!

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Sorry to take away from the post for a minute, but what is your verdict on the one vs the contrail. Cheers!

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Andrew, perhaps instead of going cold turkey, you can make a pact with yourself. If you want a new XXXX, you must first sell one of your existing XXXXs. This is less painful than just saying NO!

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Right: The One vs Contrail.

I'd take the Contrail every time. It so much easier and quicker than The One to erect.

The One is lighter than the Contrail, but its lightness is not enough to outweigh its fiddly nature.
    At the end of a long day, when you're buggered and keen to hit the sack, the Contrail is a joy. It's up and you're cosy in two minutes. Not so The One.

At least that's my opinion.

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Good point Lynn.

But I am going cold turkey. Now that I've made my intentions public, I will let y'all know if I remain true.

And I may even sell some stuff as well.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Gear rotation – yes it is a beautiful thing, but can be terribly time consuming (at least in any quantity). Be careful what you wish for…You might have to sell some great gear to get it.

joe w

@sandalot

nm

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Thanks for that Andrew, good to hear some first hand comparisons,I've got a contrail and have been thinking about dabbling with the one. Bought any new gear yet?!

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

"No more new gear for me…"

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

-Quentin Tarantino

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Here is the US, we owe it to ourselves to make 2009 the year of gear acquisition. So this is my strategy for explaining the need to purchase more stuff to my wife. Hey, if I don't buy it… she will use the money to buy more shoes. :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…yes, it your PATRIOTIC duty to spend :-D

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not only is it the PATRIOTIC thing to do, it is also the HUMANE thing to do!

Thousands of Chinese are now forced back into subsistence farming and would DO ALMOST ANYTHING for another chance to sew you a pack or tent so they can put their kids through school.

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Ben2,
    This whole slump could play right into the BS business plan. "I'm in China trying to get workers off the farm and into the factory."

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

We have a system that requires us to sell enough old stuff to completely finance the new stuff. It's not necessarily always UL gear we sell, but it works really well as it prevents impulse buying. It always takes ages to sell enough stuff to buy 5 yards of cuben….

Unknown abc

@edude

Andrew, I hope you have more dedication than me… otherwise you'll give in before the years half over…lol

cheers

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I may faint from laughing out loud. Sell Stuff! You've got to be kidding. I've only got half as many tents as Franco. Got to get on line and buy, Buy, BUY. Maybe pre-order a Scarp2 and Hogback.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

What about a laser comp, a pre-ordered Neo-Air, a Gorilla pack and a couple of Valandre bags to go with those?

It's sacrilege to admit this, but I've actually given away a few stoves and packs, and thrown a Vargo triad out in the rubbish! We've pretty well dialed in what we need, and I don't actually like the clutter of all that unused gear lying around.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Lynn,
    I've already pre-ordered a Neo-Air. I ought to throw my Vargo Triad out (doesn't work worth cr*p) but I simply can't bear to. I must have 20 Alco stoves, which I'll never use. Help me, Please.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools