Topic

Water bottles for boiling

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Water bottles for boiling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound
    Bart Newton

@bwnewton

These stainless steel bottles sold by Wiggy's are quite heavy but if you click on "more info" there is an interesting real-life application on why a stainless steel water bottle for boiling water would be great for some survival situations: http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=1

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

@ Jason Klass

Vargo makes Ti bottles, including their BOT (Bottle Pot):

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-Water-Bottles

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Bob: +1 on the 16 ounce beer bottle.

Very light, completely cheap if you dumpster-dive at the recycling station.

If you need a liter, bring two. Make an oblong chimney for your canister stove or wood stove set-up. Put two 16-ounce bottles in. They have more surface area and will therefore heat faster than a single 1-liter bottle.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I've been storing/hoarding up 12 oz aluminum screw-top bottles that had protein drink in them…same as the beer bottles but shorter and with a raw finish on the outside (plastic sleeve peeled off), but I am reminded of the thick-walled, cork-stoppered "Swiss Volcano Stove" bottles that are certainly robust enough to put right into a fire. What's one of those weigh?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Erik,

Me, too. I set aside a 12-pack (having consumed the contents) of 16-ounce beer aluminum bottles because they seemed very thick and sturdy – much, much more so than a 16- or 24-ounce energy drink aluminum can with a screw top. And I wondered if they'd (1) be discontinued or (2) if it catches on, be optimized with much thinner aluminum as soda cans have been over the years. The large energy drink cans with screw tops (Rockstar, etc) are like overlarge soda cans and very prone to dimpling and crushing. Yeah, I know, we try to be UL and all; but 35-40 grams for water bottle AND cooking pot is okay by me, it doesn't have to 20 grams if 20 grams is so flimsy.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

H2Go made some wide mouth stainless bottles that were close to Nalgene weights. The newer Stanley water bottles are a couple ounces less than the Klean Kanteen equivalent.

I applaud your effort to simplify and consolidate your kit, but a Platypus or recycled water bottle with a Ti pot are lighter and more versatile than any stainless bottles I have found to date. If you are trying to save space as well as weight, simply store your water container in your pot.

I looked at a lot of stainless bottles with the idea of creating one person essentials/survival kits that I could give to a hiking companion who was not suitably equipped. I wanted a wide mouth like a Nalgene so I could store items inside and provide a means of cooking or boiling water for purification. The H2Go bottle was the best I found. Unfortunately, they are hard to find for one- off purchase and are normally sold through promotional supply houses.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools