Topic

MYOG Guyline Tensioners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Guyline Tensioners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Hmmmm. I envision MYOG Guyline Tensioners v1.01. Back to the drawing board.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

I'm heading home in a minute. I'll take a picture and show you exactly how the JRB tensioners are setup.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Here are some pictures of my JRB tensioners. Turns out they're about 5" Joe! They stretch to around ten inches. The line has a simple knot and the tube is held in place by a cheap black zip tie. Never had problems, but i've only used them on a few trips.

Let the tutorial draft begin Denis :P

JRB self tensioner full pic

jack

jb

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I ordered 6' of red theraband tubing on EBay, so I'll make some. Cost more to ship than the tubing cost though.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I'm a bit out of the loop here. I don't quite "get" tensioners. When I stake out a tent (say w/Spectra cord) I just pull to maximal tension and set the stakes. With a tensioner you couldn't pull to that maximal tension, and although I can see the tent keeping relatively static tension, it doesn't seem like the canopy would be as taut as if pitching "normally." Thoughts, feedback?

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Brad,

No problem. Check this.

So what you do is attach the self-tensioner to any tie out point you'd like. Pull the tensioner as far as you can, essentially to the length of the excess guyline w/in the tubing. Now you have your "normal" tension if the rubber tube wasn't present.

Skip ahead to 2am when your shelter wants to sag under dew/rain. Now the slack of the shelter sagging is pulled in by the self-tensioner wanting to spring back to original size. Essentially it's tightening up the line as if you went out yourself and adjusted your taut-line hitch or whatever tensioning method you use.

Make sense?

– Dana

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

"Skip ahead to 2am when your shelter wants to sag under dew/rain. Now the slack of the shelter sagging is pulled in by the self-tensioner wanting to spring back to original size. Essentially it's tightening up the line as if you went out yourself and adjusted your taut-line hitch or whatever tensioning method you use."

And all the while you're snug in your shelter, "sawing logs".

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

Does anybody have any idea how long these things will last? I made some a couple of nights ago, but got to thinking…If they're always pulled to their max, will they eventually just be a long piece of silicone (or rubber)? Either way, I'm planning on using them till they fail.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Kyle,

I really wonder this myself too, except i'm concerned with a different cause of failure.

I was riggin' up my tarp with a new guyline configuration and while putting back on the self-tensioners I started thinking about how/when they'd break. Then i got to thinking about how long the tensioners could withstand storage before becoming dry/brittle.

IMHO they're going to dry out and crack before they fatigue from being strained constantly.

But hey, they're cheap and easy to make. The next ones i'll make myself and I figure, if they last a season, great. If they last 4-5 trips, i can handle that too.

What does everyone else think?

– Dana

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

I think the latex will have a different life span than the theraband I used. I don't know which will be longer, but theraband is meant to be stretched over and over and over for workouts.

edited for spelling

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

my JRB are theraband, so i'm in your boat.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm planning on using therabands too. These are similar to the exercise bands that came with my P90X. I've had those over 2 years, and through use and non-use, I have had no problems.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

The first pair of these that I made used the tubing from an old slingshot I found lying in the weeds. It had been there for a while, as the tubing at the "pocket" fastening had rotted away. I trimmed off the rotted parts and subjected the rest to a good strong tug. There were no "dry" parts or cracking evident, so I went ahead and used the tubing. Two of the tensioners shown in the above photos are those original units. We'll see if they make it through the summer. If not I'll whip out a couple of replacements.

Regarding the use of bungee tensioners: They're only bungee. If they fail there's nothing left. If the surgical tubing of the Auto Tensioner fails, you still have the internal guyline. Just reset the stakes, and you're good.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

A suggestion for how far to stretch a tensioner:
    The tensioner has two purposes, to take up the sag that develops as rain, dew or insensible perspiration causes the fly, tent, tarp, or canopy to stretch and sag; and to absorb wind shock to reduce stress on the fly and its components including stakes. If you pull a tensioner as tightly as possible, it has no reserve left to absorb wind shock. If the tensioner must be stretched to its full extension to get the tarp/tent set up properly, you need a stiffer tensioner.

Actually, tensioners have a third, specialized use: to keep hammock flies properly tensioned when your weight on the hammock would otherwise cause the fly to sag.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

JRB has been making these STL for three years now….all of the ones we personnaly use are doing fing with no apparent stretch set in… Only two reported failures to date…. one was the second knot pulled out of the theraband…. as noted above the line was still usable…. The second failure was in the vicinity of the artic circle when the theraband froze, then the stove pipe it was securing caused a nylon sting failure….

They will eaasily stay resilant through a 6 months thru hike…As mentioned above they are meant to stretch, relax and stretch again repetitively.

Again, remember that I'm biased but these are just facts I've observed or had reported to me.

Pan

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

And ordered some red Theraband tubing to make some tensioners. I thought the red would be good because I didn't think heavy-duty tension was needed. Bad thing is, I wasn't thinking about the inside diameter. It's so small on the red tubing that I can probably only fit about an inch of guyline up in it. Oops.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

Just run a thin metal wire through it, then tape the guy line to the end of wire and pull it back through.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Red Thera-band eh? Well Joe, use it as it was designed… start exercising.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

If the thera-band is too narrow try this:
    Use a small section of plastic weed eater line or other thin item to serve as a "needle" to thread through the band, tape your guyline to the line and pull it back through.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

I don't think threading is the issue, I was talking about needing bigger ID, so the slack in the line would have a place to go when it's relaxed. If that makes sense.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Well yeah! You've got to have somewhere for the excess cord to bunch up. On my tensioners, when relaxed, the cord twists in tight coils about a quarter inch apart. At that point the cord is pretty firm and won't compress much more.

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

I've used the latex/theraband tensioner for a long time and they work very well, But I have now switched to using tensioners made from shock cord.

The shock cord tensioners work just as well as the latex/Theraband but are much lighter. I think 4 guy lines (approx 8 feet each, using Speer's No Tangle Guy Line) with shock tensioner come in just under an ounce.

I wrote of a tutorial over at HammockForums.net that shows 2 different methods to make the tensioners (tried posting instruction here with no luck):

Shock Cord Tensioner Tutorial

Tarp Tensioner 1

Tensioner Extended

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

Do these have slack inside the tubing or something? It just appears to be tubing over coradage which wouldn't stretch. What am I missing here??

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Michael,

When making the surgical tubing tensioners, you stretch the tubing over the guy line and fasten it in place, while stretched. When you release the ends of the tensioner's guy line loops, the tubing retracts, gathering up the guyline inside the tubing. I'll try to take a backlit photo to show what's happening inside the tubing.
    Guyline tensioner at rest (backlit)
    Sorry that this is a little blurry. The tensioner is relaxed and you can see the guyline curled up inside the tubing. When in use the tensioner is set, stretched to full length. As the silnylon material sags in the cool, damp conditions the tubing shrinks, pulling the silnylon tight.

I hope this description is enough for you to understand how the tensioner works.

John Paul Reid

@reid

Locale: SouthEast

Thanks Denis, I was hesitant to make a bonehead question but I'm glad I did, I am headed to the hardware store now! Is there any limitation on the thickness of the line used? I have MLH .8mm and it is extremly slippery, made of dacron. 5.99 on ebay though!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools