Topic

Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

This one has the "StarLyte burner modified to receive a rigid type fuel tube.
    The tube has a lock washer of a type that will prevent it's backward movement while in operation within the burner.
    The stainless steel pot support is affixed to the aluminum cat food can
    The burner is affixed to the aluminum can. This is a one piece stove. Nothing moves accept the fuel tube. User friendly, no pieces to assemble.
    The burner has the ability to receive 1 ounce of fuel by just dumping it in and lighting it if a quick water heat up is wanted. No need to attach a remote fuel source.
    For uninterupted fuel usage the fuel tube is easily inserted into the burner.
    The stove will boil 2 cups of water in 7 min with 1/2 ounce of fuel without the remote fuel line attached.(under optimum conditions) results vary by pot size and material.

The stove weighs 1 ounce and is 3.25" in diameter and is 2" high. Nice diameter for larger size pots, very stable.

Photos of the stove burning will follow along with a video as soon as I can get to it.

<center>
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
    </center>

I do not have a vested interest in this stove.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Hey Dan,
    Where can I get one of these?

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

Oooo. I like it.

I ordered a .5L Platy to use as my IV bag. I picked up some 1/8" silicone tubing and an 1/8" aluminum shaft today.

I'm starting to work on my adjustable stove too :)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Super!!!!, let's have some fun Matthew. Let's fire them up and do some serious cookin = ) Let's watch the water boil!!!!

ben wood

@benwood

Locale: flatlands of MO

how do you regulate the amount of fuel going into the stove? or does it just absorb as necessary?

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

One way is to use a roller valve found on IV infusion kits.Disposable Infusion Kit

It's the white box in the photo above. The roller pinches the silicone tube at various intervals.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Okay Zelph:

I've got a tricky question with a problem I'm having. My design requires a 90degree bend in the thin aluminum tubing that feeds to the stove.

My 1/8" aluminum tube is pinching on itself when I bend it. I can't bend the tube and keep the passage open at the same time.

I need help on how to properly bend thin 1/8" aluminum tube (from a hobby shop – fragile stuff).

So far my best guess is for me to buy some cable wire to thred into the tube before heating it and bending it. I'm hoping this will allow it to keep it's shape. I could then pull the cable wire out of the tube once the hot metal has hardened. – haven't tried this yet]]

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Freeze water in the tube before bending it over some sort of mandrel and the tubing shouldn't collapse.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I believe that with larger tubing they used to fill them with sand, heat, and bend, then take the sand out. Don't know about 1/8" tubing. I suppose you could fill it with talcum powder (talc) and try that. Talc's melting point is 1500 C so you should be able to heat it ok.

-Mark

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

There is small diameter soft aluminum tubing that readily bends to any shape you want. A half inch radius is no problem.

The stuff I have came with some pressure gauges. I don't have clue what it is called technically or where to get it. Google – soft aluminum tubing coil – to get started.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this, it would be worth the effort to track it down.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Why not just get a tubing bender? They are made specifically for the application and are relatively cheap.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/search/DUB785.html

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

You won't need one if you can find the soft aluminum.

I just remembered that it may be available as part of the kit that is used to plumb a refrigerator.

Which also suggests that soft copper, readily available, might also work.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

hobbie tube bender

This is a great idea. Thanks.

I may try the talc first.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

This type of stove should be available soon as the internet passes it around and folks start to produce them.

Bend the tubing by annealing the tube where the bend is to be. Insert a rod into the tube of the proper size, use a crimping tool to crimp/flatten the area to be bent. remove the inner tube and fill aluminum tube with sand. Carefully bend, do a visual while bending, if it looks like it might fail hit t again with a micro torch for a second or two and then retry.

I'll see if I can get a video of the fuel source by Monday. Not enough time in the day to get things done ; )

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Matthew

I think I understand the hobby tube bender, but only when used to make a single bend. How does it make those bits with two+ bends?
    Or maybe I don't understand it.

Cheers

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

move the tube…bend again.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

boy if I had a picture for everyone of these stoves that fail tonight.

I've started operating in tin trays to minimize flame control. I get an idea, drill it up…the silicone tubing bursts open spilling all of the fuel into the tray, the small fire hazard is contained to a corner of my kitchen.

I'm glad my wife is out of town tonight…

this is messy business.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> move the tube…bend again.

In that case I don't think I quite understand how the bender works. It looks interesting. Can you show a close-up pic of how it works, with a tube in place? Please!

Cheers

Mark Edgren

@mackgren

Hey Matthew,
    I have had to bend some even smaller copper tube lately for my own stove project. The best way I found is to anneal the tube right where you want to bend it, and no where else. Basically I use a micro torch, heat the spot I want to bend to a near glowing red, let it cool on its own…and then bend with a mini tubing bender. Perfect bends..and no sand or talc powder in the process. Dont anneal the whole pipe because then the metal becomes too soft. I can post some pics of some crazy bends if you're interested

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Matthew,

I use my fingers, it takes some practice but you can do some very tricky bends with them that are hard to do unless you can make some special bending tools. Below is a picture of some bends that I have done on some difficult to bend hard drawn Stainless Steel hypodermic tube.

Tony

Tube bending example

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

I appreciate all the advice.

Almost set my kitchen on fire this weekend. Turns out plugging a hole at the bottom of a stove with a tube makes the tube a flame thrower once the alcohol vaporizes. Please take a note on this…I hadn't before.

Just to clarify, I do not own the pipe bender. That was the image from the website posted above.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Matthew, one more piece of advice, do your testing outside, no more kitchen for you ; )

I got the video made but the internet is too busy for it to upload.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Ooooo *excited*, I just got my .5L Platy sports bottle in the mail. This is the "PERFECT" sized bladder for my IV fed remote alcohol stove. Best of all, as the alcohol is used, it doesn't require a second vent in the cap to allow air in for neutral pressure. This stove is popp'n.

So now I'm only missing one piece:
    I've called every medical supply center in the San Fernando Valley – no one seems to carry the spin wheel shut off valve used on disposable IV kits. Hmmmm, you mean to tell me no one in Los Angeles has diabetes? I don't think so.

Chris Ryan
    BPL Member

@ucdchris

Matthew,
    I'd be happy to mail you a couple of the regulators if you haven't found a supplier by the end of the week.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

WOW, thank you very much. I'll take a stab at it this week and will let you know if nothing comes through. Are you in the LA area?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools