Topic

Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I was at the craft store where I saw rolls of the kind of stuff you make ballet tutus out of. There were both kinds, the kind with bigger holes and the kind with very tiny holes.

I was wondering if there's any appreciable difference between these fabrics and the fabric used for mosquito and no-see-um netting. Do you know?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Good quality no-seeum netting should be a lot tougher than tule. Ballerina's don't roll around in the dirt as much as backpackers.

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Yup, it won't be as rugged, but if your application is one where you won't be rolling around on the ground with it, you may find it works just fine – so long as the holes are small enough for the little buggers in your neck of the woods.

I am using something similar for my hammock bug netting. Really, most anything with small enough holes will work.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I want a net with mosquito netting instead of noseeum. The noseeum stops a light breeze, and we don't have noseeums.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

There were two kinds of ballerina netting at the craft store. One had larger holes like traditional mosquito netting and the other had very tiny holes. The tiny kind was only $1.29 a yard. I didn't look at the other, but I'm sure it was probably similar in price.

I wouldn't be rolling on it. I won't be sewing any zippers or anything like that in it either. I think I'll give it a try. It's very light. They had both dark green and black, too. The only thing I didn't check was how wide the fabric was.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Tule is delicate, but very light. Fine for bugs bigger than noseeums. It tears easily and works better with some reinforcement – like silnylon for the ridgeline and drawstring hems if you use them. I use it for prototyping net designs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools