Topic

Tin can for a pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tin can for a pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Today I washed out a tin soup can to use as a pot and put it on my kitchen range to heat and really dry it out. I noticed that it developed scorch marks on both the interior and exterior. This never happened when heating the can with water in it. Anybody know if there is some chemical on the surface of these cans that burns with higher heat? If so, is this stuff leeching into the water that I boil for food and is it carcinogenic?

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

yes it probably does have a coating. What was in it to start with?

There might be better options, though probably not any cheaper ones.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It was a Progresso Chicken noodle soup can.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Are the scorch marks actually black carbon? If you rub it with a piece of white cloth or paper towel, does it smudge the cloth?

The steel will discolor from the high temperatures you'll get when you heat a pot without water in it.

If you make sure there is always some water in the pot, it can't get any hotter than it did when the food that came in it was processed.

If you're worried about it, set your oven to the highest temperature possible (over 500) and bake the pot in it for a couple of hours. Then scrub it out with a steel wool pad to remove the coating.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Dennis,
    There was a very comprehensive thread just a month ago, regarding this very subject.

I don't know how to search for it but perhaps you can find it.

There is a coating which is in most all food cans. You should never "cook" them dry. It might be best if you toss this one and search out the thread before going further.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

They coat most cans with plastic now. But some foods they do not. You might be able to search on which foods are not in coated cans.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools