Topic

Wood Heated Shelter for less than 3 lbs.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood Heated Shelter for less than 3 lbs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I recently compleated a project of a wood heated shelter with a total weight of 2 lbs 12 oz

I started with a GoLite ShrangiLa 2 and sewed in a fiberglass stove jack. I then removed all the adjustable webbibg stake outs with their fastex buckles. The tent pegs were replaced with Vargo Ti pegs. Weight does not include trekking poles which are necessary.

The stove is made from a stainless steel canister with threaded legs, brass rectangular tubing pot supports and a Ti Goat titanuim pipe/damper set up.

The reason for this project was not only to break the 3 lb barrier, but to have a stove that need very little assembly.

I have been building wood stoves since 1974 and designed the current model Kifaru stove, ( And manufactured them for 7 years until I had no time to play or write.)

Cylinder Stove

Cylinder stove with pot supports.

Ed

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Snow Peak Ti Kettle on wood stove

Snow Peak Ti Kettle on wood stove.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Ti Kettle fits inside stove for transport.

Kettle fits inside stove for transport

Mark Edgren

@mackgren

wow nice job on the stove! Do you have any pics of the stove and GoLite shelter assembled?

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Can a stove that small really heat up a ShrangiLa 2?
    I have no experience hot camping so Im curious.
    I imagine you will have to really be on the ball feeding wood to a stove that size?

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Ed – It's incredible you got the weight down that low for a heated winter shelter.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I will post some pictures soon with the stove in the shelter.

The stove dimensions are 4.75 diameter and 6.75 long.

Yes a stove this small will put out a lot of heat as well as being able to provide for all cooking functions.

Small stoves do require more attension but at that point I am just sitting or laying around the tent anyway. Sure is nice to crawl into the sleeping bag totally warm.

Iv'e been using wood heated nylon shelters since 1985 and except in the heat of summer, they are my first choice.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

For some very light weight stoves check out Ti Goat Here.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I had done a Golite Hex 3 with stove that came in at 5 lbs and my goal with the SH 2 was to get under 3.5. When my first version came in at 3 lb 4 oz, I was sure that 3 lbs could be broken. I was actually suprised at getting to 2 lb 12 oz.

Ed

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

Amazing. You have really set the benchmark for making a stove a possibility for hiking. Let us know if you plan to manufacture these. It was 9 the last night we spent on the beach.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

it looks great !.

I ordered a Ti Goat cylinder stove a month and a half ago, but didnt recieve it yet so i didnt experience how hard is it to assembly it, but sure it doesnt look that easy with cold hands.
    I was already thinking about the alternative of a one piece small cylinder stove, and im happy to see this is doable.
    Unless you plan to sell those, i am very curious about how you do the connection between the pipe and the stove.

frederic

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Looks fantastic. At these weights, i would start to think about carrying a wood stove.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Frederic,

There are a couple ways to join/support the pipe ( which is titanium foil) at the stove.

My 1st version used a collar, a short piece of 30 gauge stainless that is rooled into a cylinder. This has pop rivits pertruding out to set on the stove top.

The 2nd version used a Ti-Goat damper plate which sets on the stove top to keep the pipe from sliding into the stove. This also has a screened fitting that inserts into the stove pipe and actually extends into the stove. The screen is to prevent embers from burning your shelter.

A picture says a 1000 words so here you go:

Damper Plate & Screen

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Pipe Damper

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

is the cylinder a walmart flour container or something similar?

-Tim

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

Thanks ED for the photos and explanation :)

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

The clyinder is a stainless steel Planatery Designs Air Lock.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Ed,
    You give a total weight, but could you also provide the split between the Shangri-La 2 and the stove?

With the Shangri-La 2 starting at 1# 13oz, getting a boot, and loosing some buckles, the stove seems amazingly light for stainless steel.

Thanks.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Greg,

Here is how the weight brakes down:
    Stove complete 21 oz, SH 2 23 oz.

The stove with legs: 14 oz.

4' Titanium foil pipe with damper, ember screen and pipe rings: 7 oz

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thanks Ed.

This is quite an accomplishment.

Going to the extreme, if you consider something like the MLD Cuben DuoMid the weight drops another 13 ounces for a total of only 31 ounces.(A boot will bring it up a little.)

Unbelievably light for Shelter, Stove, And Heat.
    Long winter nights start to seem a little more enjoyable.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Greg,

Something like the MLD would reduce the weight further. I also thought about a GoLite SH 1. Prolite lists the weight a 1 lb. 3 oz. It might be possible to get an SH 1 to 12 – 14 oz, which would be good especially for just over $100.

My concern for the SH 1 is that there wouldn't be enough room for a stove and sleeping bag. The SH 2 essentially becomes a solo shelter when the stove is in use.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Not trying to take away from your creation, which is great. Simply giving some numbers for comparison.

MLD Cuben Duomid w/ guylines – 11 oz.
    Kevlar Stove Jack – 3.5 oz.
    Ti Goat Stove w/ Ti Pipe – 19 oz.

Total 33.5 oz. I don't even want to talk about the cost though. ;)
    mid with stove

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Nice set-up Steven and super light.

The biggest reason for building my cylinder stove was to have a stove with very little assembly. Screw in the legs, un-roll the pipe and build a fire.

The whole project cost less than $200.

Paul Davis
    Spectator

@pdavis

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W

Ed: Thanks for doing all the sheet metal bashing and folding required to make the Kifaru stoves! I have their tiniest one which I use every spring + Fall in the Yukon in a 3kg (ouch!) MEC Snowfield 2 person mountaineering tent. So I get great joy out of it, thanks for all that work! I have not quite got up the courage to put in the stove jack in my I-tent, but maybe some day!

I am not up to posting photos here, but you will have to imagine a Mini Solo potset with soup and bread on top of a Kifaru para stove in the yellow and blue vestibule with the subarctic sunshine pouring through, on a snow-shoe packed base of 1.5M of snow, the whole thing packed in in a yellow garage-sale mono-pole pulk sled!

I am hoping to do some more of that next week!

Thanks again!
    60N 135W

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Ed,

This is the most elegantly simple, yet simply elegant answer to small tent heating and cooking in a fast set-up, ultra light compact stove that I've ever seen!

Do the set screw legs thread into the stove body directly, or into rivnuts, and are the set screws M4 or M5?

I'm looking forward to seeing more photo's of your fabulous stove, many thanks for sharing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools