Topic

Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia
    Carlos Figueroa

@cfigueroa

Locale: Santa Cruz Area

Edward, this is a fantastic post of your canyon's trip. I loved how your setup your images and especially the movie clip with the music. It really felt like I was in the canyon walking along with you. Great job!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I really enjoy your trip reports….keep it up.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Now thats how a trip report should be done!
    Sets a new standard.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Very well done, great trip report. Do you have a gear list you used for this trip? I would have liked to of seen pictures of your camp sites and water sources. With not having had the opportunity to hike in this type of desert environment I always find such trip reports very interesting.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Looks like some place they would film Mars movies.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Joe,
    Rent the movie 'Galaxy Quest', with Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, to see exactly what you say, and to have a great laugh.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I was going to say Galaxyquest, but I figured I was the only one who had seen it.

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

What a great trip report; just the facts and lets you get a sense of the place. I love that area and it was a great teaser for those that haven't been. Thanks again.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Based on the comments above, some of you may have missed Miles' Sand Dunes Trip Report.

A high standard indeed.

Thanks Miles.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

VERY cool. Thanks for sharing!

Miles Barger
    BPL Member

@milesbarger

Locale: West Virginia

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad ya'll[1] have enjoyed.

Thom:
    I don't have a detailed gear list–I have a system that works with gear ready to go any time, so I don't think about it very analytically anymore. However, I can tell you that it was light (~6 lbs) and basic: the only "special consideration" for desert travel was a large (3L) "just in case" water capacity.

These were two day hikes with car camping in between, so I had no camp sites (just slept right at the trailhead, a benefit of BLM land) and brought 1.5 gallons for the ride. I'm not aware of any water sources for this hike or in the nearby area (except for a pump in Goblin Valley SP). That statement implies the main consideration for desert travel: water.

I struggle with the philosophical implications of documenting and reviewing experience; in less high-fallutin' terms, I think hard about these things and sometimes choose to stop taking pictures, stop journaling, stop spending time composing posts. I'm also totally without internet access for months at a time. All to say: I can't promise I'll keep it up, but I hope you enjoy when I do.

[1] Living in TN/KY/MS until the age of 11 + English having no differentiated second-person plural = I support the use of ya'll.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools