Topic

SPOT Satellite Personal Messenger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SPOT Satellite Personal Messenger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Does anybody know if they are getting ready to come out with an upgraded version before the summer hiking season?

I ask because Spot is being offered through REI with a $25.00 rebate (with activation) now.

http://www.rei.com/pdf/rebates/SPOT_25_Rebate_Form.pdf

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A gentleman did a rim-to-rim-to-rim run last fall and carried SPOT.

30 out of 198 "tracking" signals got through.
    9 out of 33 "I'm OK" signals got through.

Granted he wasn't in one place long for the OK's, but he was aware of the protocols.

Know where you intend to use it and what to expect.

Bob Kiley
    Spectator

@wuleebear

Locale: Mtn's of Western North Carolina

I don't have any info on improvements and/or upgrades to the service. But my experience during the past year in in the North Georgia Mountains has been hit or miss at best. OK signals are being received at about a 50% rate and the location info almost zero. In short, when this forest project is complete, I don't plan to ever use a SPOT again Period…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

The ACR MicroFix is the same cost over 5 years, and it has the added benefit of actually working.

It can be found at REI here.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

McMurdo is coming out in the spring with new PLB's in the 5 oz range and 200-300 bucks.

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I was just checking these out online when I noticed this post concerning the SPOT. I have been debating whether to buy a SPOT or PLB for my solo hiking. The SPOT is nice for sending ok messages to update the family, but what good is it if you can't depend on it. I think I will opt for the new PLB given the price, weight and dependability.

Looks like $299 for the 5.3 oz 210 unit that has built in GPS. The sole US supply to date is Revere Supply out of Jacksonville, FL. They don't appear to have an online store, so it looks like the old fashion order by phone.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

John,
    Thanks for the heads up.

I found the FastFix 210 for $283 + S&H Here.

Smaller and less expensive that the MicroFix.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I see several places on google that appear to be selling the McMurdo FastFind 210. No reviews have been performed that I know of.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=105

http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/what_is_fast_find/fast_find_210.php

Seth Tanner

@sethtan

oo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools