Topic

starbucks new instant coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition starbucks new instant coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I worked as a barista for 9 good years. I drink a latte daily, often at Starbuck's – thing is I will try pretty much anything they bring out – as long as it doesn't have fake coloring added.

Why? I like their products – their taste reflects mine. And sure, their ads might be odd….but ya know….that is fine with me.

It is definitely a PNW thing in many ways. Yeah, I liked the VIA. Better than any other instant out there!

Then again the last thing I get going on a trip is a latte, the first thing after a trip is a latte. I know where every espresso hut is located in Washington near trails ;-)

I am 36 – I grew up in the coffee culture here. My first real job I enjoyed was pulling shots. I never had any shame in saying "I make coffee for a living". Every female I know in my age group has been a barista at some point out here :-D

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Pretty much spot on how instant coffee is made. Watched it and don't see how it is getting anyone's undies in a bunch?

They get their point across to their target auidence.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I see no reason to change from my cowboy coffee. Instant can never be as good as freshly ground and freshly brewed good quality coffee, AND it's cheaper.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I find the idea that some people might be swayed by that depressing."

As H. L Mencken once observed: "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the American Public"+

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

That's the most BS ad I've seen in a while. The bean goes behind the magic curtain and suddenly you should buy it?

TV is bad for your I.Q.

Whatever you're drinking, if you want to make an effort at a leave no trace-type ethic, it should be Fair Trade and shade grown.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Wow.
    Fair Trade is even bigger bs than that commercial!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

If it tastes like the Starbucks espresso before they did the mass retraining of all the their baristas awhile ago… I'll pass. I always get burnt shots from them or 2nd rate tasting coffee, maybe instant would be better… The java juice has worked fine for me as a quick pick me up that and i have a ton of it left. Maybe I'll try the Starbucks stuff if I come across it for real cheap, but otherwise i stay away from Starbucks…

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I just had some this weekend and it was very good….much better than any other instants I've tried

Definitely going to get some more.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Jared, the quality of SB's shots have vastly improved. I have not had a bad shot since the overhaul.

I go to SB's most often for my lattes due to that.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

I had to live on Starbucks when I was in Arizona… The next decent coffee shop was hundreds of miles away from there (or at least one that wasn't operated by the local cult)… For 4 years I had to survive on their randomly burned shots… When I got back to Washington I vowed to shop there as little as possible and support the little guys. But as my pay is being cut I'll start trying Starbucks again for their fresh doubleshot drinks. $2.69 for a grande, I can swing from time to time. That and the "cheap" espresso stand at my college changed baristas, who now burns coffee and they doubled the prices to match Starbucks… Go figure…

I might give the instant stuff a try this summer, but I'm going to have to do a lot of hiking, car camping and riding trips to deplete my java juice rations! lol… I bought in bulk with my trapper mug.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Starbucks can't compare to the great coffee shops in Seattle! (If that's where you are in WA)…remember Bau Haus in particular as being good. I just don't like the Starbucks shots much at all, really. Their ice coffee is terrible and their iced lattes are so lack luster. most big cities have multiple better options….find a place that foams the milk for an ice latte AND pours the shots in after the milk and ice are all set? Then you're in heaven. mmmmm

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Now if I could find one in Tacoma near TCC, that'd be great. If i get accepted to the UW, I'll be looking in Seattle for coffee. I mainly buy my coffee from Vinaccio's when I'm in sultan, or Marysville (they supported me by sending me bags of Washington roasted coffee while I was in Iraq! they roast in the shop and the owner mike is awesome!) Along with another choice shop in north Marysville near the commissary. In Gig Harbor and Purdy area (where i'm located) I'm still looking for the better shop… The coffee place adjacent to the chevron in gig harbor is good though…

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

"I had to live on Starbucks when I was in Arizona… The next decent coffee shop was hundreds of miles away from there"

that's a poor choice of excuses. apparently you never went to Old Bisbee Roasters, or Human Bean, or even the Coffee Plantation. oh wait.. then there's the Willow House

give it up for seth: http://www.oldbisbeeroasters.com/
    and give up fourbucks

Jared Cook

@rooinater

In Yuma Arizona near the Marine Corp base?? There was 3 main coffee shops by the time I left, one ran by the local "cult" which was never good coffee and always burnt shots, one local drive up stand that was never open when i was out in town, and by the time i left there was 3 Starbucks coffee shops. There was a larger diversity of drive-thru liquor stores that I found in yuma than there was coffee shops. Towards, mesa, Peoria, phoenix and the bigger cities that were 2.5 hours away there was a better variety, but still it does not compare to the variety on every corner in the NW (it's like the taco stand varieties in Yuma, which i really miss). I found one really good one in flagstaff, and another in peoria within a few miles of cabelas (my buddy lived there and knew nearly every coffee shop in peoria/ scottsdale area), but i wasn't going to drive 2 to 4 hours specifically for coffee… I'd need another by the time i got back…

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

you didnt say Yuma in original post. Yuma sucks for just about anything, so hell with their ghetto coffee.
    there is a coffee plantation across the street from cabela's, about 1/2 mile away. maybe that's the one.
    well, at least Old Bisbee does shipping for free.
    what you said earlier just perked up my ears. hundreds of miles from Arizona. ?

Jared Cook

@rooinater

I always forget to mention the yuma part… it's the only active duty marine corp base in arizona. the sad part is it's one of the better marine corp towns… they always pick the hole in the wall, no where towns other than camp pendleton and miramar which are near san diego and LA. the exceptions to the no name, nowhere towns.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

An ice latte would not have steamed milk. That would be a customers preference rather than a standard drink.

Milk changes when it is steamed – the sugars convert.

Ran an independent for 8 years and the whole time was on a manual machine. Won awards the last 3 years I was there for the "best espresso shop" award the area ran. I was the opener for the commuter crowd. I knew every one by name and could make nearly anyone's drink from memory. Our shop was the cop hangout – never had any fear of being robbed due to that one ;-)

I first pulled shots when I was 18 at a friends stand (back in the day of outside carts). Read the barista bartender book and memorized it. Then I watched and learned from friends.

I'd make whatever was asked by a customer though – but not everything works. (Or is just gross – like the one cop who drank a grande breve made with liquid whipping cream instead of half and half daily. That is just unformed butter!)

So what does that have to do with anything? It is this: many independents are worse than Starbucks. There is no uniform way – especially if you put an 18 year old behind a auto machine who has never read a recipe book or can steam milk properly.

The one drink that separates real from wanna-be? A dry cappuccino…velvet smooth foam, no milk poured in. Make it a tall ;-) Or a perfect Dopio topped with a tiny amount of the velvet foam.

Starbucks has gotten better with their shots, the bitter burnt flavor is gone. They have gotten better at steaming milk – it is not over heated and scorched. They have learned to foam milk right. That is one thing I would beat into new hires: before you make espresso you learn to steam milk right. Take 1/3 steamer pitcher of milk and produce a full pitcher of velvet foam.

It isn't the shop, it is the employees that matter in coffee making in many ways.

Yet on the trail I couldn't care less. Give me instant coffee and cocoa mix. ;-)

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

I was curious about the caffeine in the new VIA coffee so I emailed Starbucks. They told me that it has 180 mg of caffeine per serving.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Now you have my attention….That sounds great.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Well, to explain what they do (this is Intelligentsia, in Chicago…the best coffee shop in the city)–they don't steam all the milk, like in a latte, they just dollop some foam on top of the ice and milk before pouring the shots in. It tastes fantastic, and whether it fits the definition or not, I (and everyone else in the neighborhood it always seemed) kept coming back for more.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools