Topic

starbucks new instant coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition starbucks new instant coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

I have just finished my second cup of Starbucks instant coffee. I must admit, it is the best instant coffee that I have ever tried, and believe me I have tried them all, trying to find one that taste like actual coffee. I was able to get 4 packages (2 of each flavor) from our local Target Starbucks. They are not for public sale yet, but you can get them through the internet. They are a tad pricey. P.S. I have quite the buzz going on. Must have a bit of caffine…..Should have maybe tried one cup first…

jason kawaja

@jasonk

Locale: occupied south

i like to have a large hot cup of coffee in the morning along with some oatmeal when backpacking, especially in cold mornings. in trying to pack light for myself and 3 others (i know, right? guy with biggest backpack syndrome) i have taken instant coffee, dry milk, cocoa, sugar and mixed it all down to a combined powder i place in zip lock bag. it's cheap and simple.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

It is well worth the cost!

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Reading this thread just inticed me to buy 2 boxes of each type. Up until now I've been using my own home roasted specialty coffee, grinding it the day before I left and placing it in individual mini ziploc bags. That's OK on weekend hikes, but most of my hikes are a month long and the ground coffee usually began to deteriorate in taste after the first week. This will simplify things if it's reasonably good.

Anonymous
    Inactive

For those of you that don't want to buy a 3-pack before tasting the stuff, ask a barista for a sampler. They've give you an individual packet to try for free.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I picked up some samples today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I did a full review on our Trailcooking blog today.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Didja get me some? :D

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Why yes ;-)

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

I took some of the new Starbucks VIA instant coffee on a backpacking trip this weekend. It was surprised to find that it was very good. I've been backpacking and climbing for 35 years and have been on coffee quest for many of those years. With this new coffee I think I've found the best solution to a light weight, good tasting, easy to make backpacking coffee. I'll be bringing this on all of my Spring treks this year for sure.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I haven't tried it yet…but I will. I need my coffee in the monrning – whether at home or on the trail. My wife is Vietnamse and her family introduced me a fews years ago to Vinacafe instant Vietnamese coffee; you can get it in black of premixed w/ cream and sugar; it has exceptional taste and is very strong – almost expresso level. Here is a link if anyone wants to check them out and compare to other instants out there:

http://www.vinacafebienhoa.com/rd_en.asp?pgid=products_en&groupid=3

Cheers,
    Christopher

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I tried some at a store last night and it was very drinkable. I bought a three pack of the french roast to try as I like BIG coffee :)

I'll have check with baristas for more samples– the stuff isn't cheap.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

As I wrote above, I started with an order for 4 boxes, 2 Italian Roast and 2 Columbian (12 packages in each). Since each package only makes 8oz, I'll be using 2 in my almost full .550L cup/pot. This will certainly be easier to use on the trail.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am not a coffe connoisseur, but do drink a lot of it. I will have to try the SB's. I have found the only tolerable instant coffe for me to be Nescafe Classico Instant Coffee. Sometimes it is in the coffee section at your market, or you may need to try the 'ethnic' foods section.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I'm a French Roast drinker… Pretty much can only Drink Starbuck's or Peet's..

As I'm in Ca. had to order on line . and could only choose Italian or Columbia.. Choose the Italian..

Tastes like Starbuck's instant coffee..

BUMMER !!

Guess I'll need to continue to lug around my big freezer bag of Starbuck's

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Man, I gotta try this.
    I'm stopping by a SB's tomorrow to check.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Pretty much can only Drink Starbuck's or Peet's.."

Now if only Peets would make instant coffee…UL coffee Nirvana.

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

The local Starbucks lady informed me today that they don't carry it anywhere in MN. She said it was currently very limited and you couldn't get it in most regions. What? Guess I gotta shop online.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Dan,

It seems they brought it out in person only in the general Seattle area and was it Boston (or Chicago?). Everyone else has to do mail order.

I am guessing test marketing?

Dan Cunningham

@mn-backpacker

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons

According to the barista I talked to, it was Chicago.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Yeah, out here – even in the middle of nowhere, since I live on the edge of King County (Seattle's county) both Staruck's had samples. During the first couple days they were handing 4 or more packets on every visit!
    -Which is why I did the giveaway a week or so ago :-D I shared the wealth…lol!

We have in stock at the local SB's both the 3 and 12 packs.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Forgive a grumpy old Australian for sticking his nose in here.
    Is that sort of marketing really going to influence the target audience? It looks like total B**LS**T.
    I find the idea that some people might be swayed by that depressing.

Cheers

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

I think that we Americans (and I assume most others) see so much of this crap as to be immune from any swaying power the producers may have tried to bestow upon us innocents.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I am a sucker–I will still try it at least once!! And maybe give a review of the stuff.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"Forgive a grumpy old Australian for sticking his nose in here.
    Is that sort of marketing really going to influence the target audience? It looks like total B**LS**T.
    I find the idea that some people might be swayed by that depressing."

Well Roger, from one old American Curmudgeon to a grumpy old Aussie, it is BS. But in the USA, it is probably going to work. Depressing.

Heck I could probably still do fine with eating the old military C and K rations and drinking the included coffee. And I would have a use for that P38 can opener that has been sitting in my desk drawer for the past 30 years.

But a new era is upon us, and I only have to put up with it for hopefully another 20 or 30 years.

Cheers to you!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools