Topic

I’ve got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’ve got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Nathanial Eady

@dagreekpacker

Locale: California's Central Coast

Disclaimer- This maybe a fun forum post so ignore or chastise me as you will.

I've got a $230 REI dividend and don't know what to spend it on. I'm a gear junkie that's covered almost all the bases for normal backpacking and UL. So what would you buy? Don't worry about what I already have. I'm hoping the wish lists of the masses will reveal some imperative piece of gear that I've overlooked. So if you've got a few seconds to kill let me know what you've been coveting all winter.

My vote goes to waiting for the release of the NeoAir mattress.

cameron eibl

@cjeibl

Locale: San Diego

Thats $2300 of gear at the 10% dividend rate. Wow, I am impressed.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I'm in the same boat…..I've got a $541 dividend (I use their Visa card) and I don't really need anything. I bought a pile of stuff from backcountry over the weekend…..I just couldn't help myself….40% off of Montbell stuff will get me every time.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I imaging you have the REI credit card (like I do) and use it for non-REI purchases. WIth the card you get an additional 5% on all items at REI (even sale items) and 1% on all other purchases.

Sean Mantell

@seanmantell

Locale: SoCal

Wow. That makes me feel better about how much I spend on gear. Anyways, I'd wait for the NeoAir.

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

I've got just about everything I need. I'll likely use mine to finally buy a bike rack and maybe a new pair of bouldering shoes, if I have enough left over :)

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

the neo air mattress or special ordering a golite regular size ultra 20. if golite ever gets the regular back in stock… that is what i'm waiting for to spend my small dividend towards.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

NeoAir!

Nathanial Eady

@dagreekpacker

Locale: California's Central Coast

No credit card involved, shamefully I accrued my $200+ dividend the old fashioned way. It's 10% of my regular purchases from REI. The crazy thing is I rarely find UL gear I like from REI and try to buy from mom and pop stores whenever possible, if that puts things in frightening perspective. The problem is that between LA and Monterey its hard to find a decent sporting goods store. and by decent I mean a store that doesn't suck big huge…. fill in the rest with your own crude haiku.

Sean Mantell

@seanmantell

Locale: SoCal

There is an Adventure 16 just north of LA. I haven't been to that location but the one in San DIego is pretty cool. It's a pretty small store though.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I'd wait on the NeoAir too. Or get some car camping gear (the Kelty Binto line is kind of cool), or REI Sahara pants. A season's worth of your favorite freeze-dried food or energy bars would work too.

Packs, shelters, and quilts are best bought from the cottage manufacturers, who have more innovative gear IMHO.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

I have not ordered from them before, but if you need a hooded softshell jacket, order something custom made from Beyondclothing.com

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well it finally happened. After being a co-op member for 20 years,I finally got a $0.00 dividend. No REI around for hundreds of miles. And it looks like everything I am now using comes from small manufacturers. As a gear hound who is trying to be better this is a huge accomplishment. Get cash for your dividend and spend it on what you need,not what they have. No decent outdoor stores in Humboldt county either. That too could be helping:)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

I will also be getting a check for my dividend this year – and if I use it to buy gear, I'll head over to Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis and spend it there.

Although I haven't received my notice yet, I expect a decent dividend because I picked up their Visa card last March. One bummer – they don't issue checks until July.

Edit: dividend check in – $180.07; about 6x bigger than previous years.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

I'm in the same boat as you Ken…and I suspect a lot of others here. I'm buying pretty much everything for manufacturers that REI doesn't deal with. The small dividend check I receive every year (it just doesn't pile up very fast buying isobutane canisters and Mary Jane's mac and cheese) usually ends up buying a piece of workout clothing for my wife.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

is likely going to an Osprey Exos 46 backpack. $119 and change thanks to the REI Visa. Combine that with the 20% member sale, plus the credit from the return of some REI Switchback 'waterproof' gloves (that were not waterproof on two snow camping trips), I should be able to get it for nothing out of pocket. Unless I decided I want a ULA Ohm more, and then I have to wait till June, when I can use the dividend to pay my July CC bill.

I'm finding like others, that thanks to this site, I need/want REI less and less since there are so many boutique outfits making better/cheaper gear, plus, it's nice knowing I'm helping out some guys/gals trying to make a honest living rather than some company paying sweatshop wages in China with mininal quality control.

But I do work 2 blocks from an REI and spend almost every lunch hour there.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

No REI Dividend! I think we might have a "bake sale" and donate the proceeds to Ken, for gas to get to Berkeley.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Thanks Denis!! Oddly enough I would drive right past REI on the way down.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

To the Santa Rosa store? I've already cleaned that one out of all the good stuff.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I used mine to buy a REI Flash 18 pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/778466?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=9D16864E-70ED-DD11-9B0F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Very happy with it. very compressible and prefect for day hiking while traveling- stashed in a carry on. I found it comfortable around the house with 2 liters of water in the bladder sleeve, the sternum strap helps a lot with the minimalist straps.
    the closure system is ingenious and should be copied by UL/SUL pack makers.
    And it looks good too.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Nice pack! I'm thinking about getting myself a Stoke pack from REI.

It's a shame I only have $20.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I only got $2, must have something to do with my deep-seated aversion to paying retail.

David Ure

@familyguy

Can you convert an REI dividend into your 401K?

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

"I only got $2, must have something to do with my deep-seated aversion to paying retail."

Somehow I got $7.01 and I know that I didn't pay full price for anything at REI last year.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

I would put the $230 toward a Ponderosa 29er.

It is a solid value hardtail bike.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools