Topic

Ultralight pack suitable for international travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight pack suitable for international travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Channing Sze

@eeyore

i use a golite breeze. its around the maximum carry-on dimensions (7x14x21). i carry a rain cover to prevent thefts and snags.

some european carriers have a much lower carry-on weight.

http://www.thetravelinsider.com/travelaccessories/internationalcarryonluggageallowances.htm

J R

@ravenul

The minimum weight listed is still 11lbs, so thats not too bad.

Travel light on the way out, buy what you need when you get there, and mail it home (or check it) on the return trip.

All good.

Sai

@saizai

Here’s a summary of suggested packs so far w/ cuin/oz:
    Eagle Creek Explorer Trek 2400/51
    Eagle Creek Subcontinental 2575/52
    Mountainsmith Ghost 2800/34
    Mountainsmith Auspex 3850/63
    Granite Gear Virga 3200/21
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail 3600/32
    REI Tour travel pack 3950/57
    Gossamer Gear G4 3100-4600/16
    Gossamer Gear Mariposa 2900-4200/17
    Six Moon Designs StarLite 4100/23
    GoLite Breeze – not listed on website
    GoLite Infinity 2550-3050/38
    Arcteryx Bora 50 2800/70
    Arcteryx Needle 45 2745/56
    Osprey Transporter T46 2800/46
    Osprey Atmos 50 3000/49
    Gregory Z-Pack 3300/51
    Gregory G-Pack 2700/39

Right now I’m leaning towards the Ghost – for being the lightest ~3kcuin pack that still seems durable enough to be abused. (Silnylon exteriors are light, but make me feel like they need to be treated gently – fine for clothing, but not for my pack.)

It also appears to be mostly waterproof, hydration-compatible, and the access is via one pair of zippers – which don’t seem to have the little nubs for passing a lock through, but that could be kludged.

J R

@ravenul

For what its worth, I have a MS Ghost (the more durable blue-grey version) and I wouldnt carry it as a travel pack. Its too big for carry-on, and the delrin hoop wouldnt likely survive many mishandlings by baggage gorillas.

If MS still made their “Dyno” pack, THAT would be an EXCELLENT travel pack.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Rest easy… the Ghost has two “hidden” openings near the top — one on each side — for you to thread your hydration tube through. The Medium size will generally qualify as carry on — but not the Large size. BTW, size in this case is determined by your torso length — so it’s not a matter of choosing one based on carry on size or not.

I LOVE my MS Ghost. However, I’m not a fan of internal bladder pouch. When you need to refill the pouch, you invariable will have to repack the contents a bit in order slip the full water bladder back in.

The Ghost has two sizable side pockets. That’s where I like to place my water bladders — upside down — making it easier to suck water from tube.

Many good selections above. However, for real hiking (i.e. hours at a time and not just “hiking” a few city blocks between train station and hostel) — I would avoid any of the Eagle Creek packs. They are very will built (I own two of them), but they are travel packs — not hiking packs. The myriad of zippable compartments and organization panels, etc. are very nice and well worth the weight for short, urban hikes. However, IMHO, for long hikes, comfort and lightweight will count more than features and conveniences.

Obviously, what counts is when you actually try them out and determine for yourself.

Sai

@saizai

Hmm, one more to add:
    GoLite Trek 3950+700/32

That’s a lot more space for the same weight…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Sai:

Frameless packs have their place (again, it’s a matter of matching the right tool to the task at hand). More space is good if you have particularly bulky, but lightweight pieces. But if throwing in more means a marked increase in weight, then the extra capacity is less meaningful. Regardless of the volume of the packbag itself, most frameless are good for hauling 15-20 lbs. more or less.

It’s good that you are looking at all the pieces together. Once you have decided on what to buy (at least the major pieces), you will have a better idea about narrowing down choices to the packs that will handle YOUR gear weight and volume.

J R

@ravenul

“I would avoid any of the Eagle Creek packs. They are very will built (I own two of them), but they are travel packs — not hiking packs”

As a general rule, this is true. But the Exlopere Trek, when combined with the light weights were talking about, makes for an excellent trail worthy pack.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Joe:

The Explorer Trek is certainly trailworthy — but may be ‘overbuilt’. Obviously, this is subjective, but I based this on my comparison of its smallish volume and heavy-ish weight (2,400 / 3.3 lbs) to larger volume but lighter weight and better comfort packs such as the aforementioned Ghost and also the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

For traveling, I think the EC Exp. Trek is an excellent choice, and in many ways much more usable than Ghost or Vapor Trail. But for long hikes, I would skip the Explorer Trek — there are better choices all around out there (again, my opinion).

There is very little one can do to compensate for a heavy-ish pack on a long trail, but there are things one can do to protect lighterweight and more fragile packs when traveling — such as putting them inside a large nylon sack when traveling by air (or using those HUGE heavy-duty plastic bags that airlines provide at airports).

J R

@ravenul

I agree… if your trip is more “trail” focused than “travel” focused, its probably in your best interest to go with a more trail specific design.

Pros and cons pros and cons.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, it’s what happens when people want just one pack that can “do it all”.

I bet you and I both have “a few” different packs for different occasions. :)

J R

@ravenul

In regards to your edit, 3lbs is hardly heavy-ish, in my opinion. But thats just my opinion, and Im not quite so hung up on weight as some people can be. Its a concern, but not an absolute primary concern for me.

When travelling, my primary concern is knowing that my pack will be there when I get there, so I never check my bags. My secondary concern is that my bag will survive the rigors of “civilization” while I make my way to the fun stuff outdoors, so easily slashed/torn/etc bags are out.

pros and cons pros and cons.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good points, Joe.

I think we travel the same way. Each to his or her own, of course, but like you, I too travel with just one carry-on, and I think it’s just so much easier that way!

I like the flexibility of being able to just “get up and go”, and hopping off trains or buses at intermediate stops just because I see something interesting — without worries of needing to find a hostel first and unloading a huge pack. To me, this trumps the rather dubious ‘flexibility’ of “having everything at hand”.

I take a slightly different tack in dealing with “slashers” and other trials of civilization. I used to take my EC carry-on pack, but found that it was still too large — where bus drivers often insist that it be relegated to the rooftop luggage rack or bottom cargo hold of the bus. Rather than choosing beefy packs, I now use a bookbag — small enough that I can take it with me into buses, boats, etc. Even though my pack weight is only around 11-12 lbs., I still sewed on a hipbelt — just in case I pick up heavier souvenirs along the way…

But the above works for me because I don’t also pack camping gear for my travels.

Curious, Joe, where do you hail from? I live in Pasadena… home of the soon-to-be-rained-on Rose Parade.

J R

@ravenul

Ben, Im just outside Denver.

Enjoy the parade.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Denver, I see.

Thanks, I’ll watch the parade on TV. Hope you have an enjoyable day too.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools