Topic

sleeping bag extender

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sleeping bag extender

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I need more girth in the shouler area on my mummy bag. (must have been working out too much – or I have put on weight some other way). I considered a transformation to a top bag as one of the diy articles on this site. I rememember seeing a zip in triangular piece years ago, but don't ask me where.
    Is there a way to MYOG this?
    Has Anyone tried it?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I need more girth in the shoulder area on my mummy bag…. I rememember seeing a zip in triangular piece years ago, but don't ask me where.
    Is there a way to MYOG this?
    Has Anyone tried it?

Yes and yes. Works pretty good.

You'll need to match the make and "gauge" of the zipper. I was able find out what was needed by calling the manufacturer's (Marmot) customer service line (YKK #8 in my case. They even shipped me a matching zipper at no cost!)

Summer bags are easy but if you are talking about a cold weather bag it requires a bit of thought to come up with a non sewn-thru zipper baffle and also to come up with a shape that makes it easy to close up the hood snug and also matches zipper length on each side.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I think both Mountain Hardware and North Face used to sell those.

Bryant Burton
    BPL Member

@moabrocks

BA use to make something call the wedgie. Here's a link.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/WedgieBagExpander

you could look at that for a pattern.

– Bryant

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Thanks for your help.

I've looked at the sites and they mention that you have to match the zipper. Most have a YKK#8. I think I will head to a fabric/craft store and see what my bag has. The mountain hardware has baffles for the zipper, so I am leaning that way.

Again -Thanks – this community always has the answers.

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools