Topic

Fly fishing question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fly fishing question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

Locale: OH

I have fly fished before but am not an "experienced" fly fisher. Next August some friends and I are planning a trip in the Beartooths. Several of us plan to do some flyfishing while there. What flies, etc should I plan to carry?

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio

There is a fishing forum here also farther down the list, but is less active.

(I'm in the same group trip)

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've have always had the best luck just stopping in a local shop, and asking someone there "what is working?" They will usually tell you whatever is the hot ticket, and sell you some.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Steve, Joe is right – be sure to check with the local fly shop. But in most of the lakes in the Beartooths (and streams too) the fish aren't especially finicky. Take your standard dries and streamers; attractors and terrestrials(adams, wulff, grasshoppers, beetles, PMD, baetis, wooly buggers, etc) and you'll do just fine.

The better fishing in the Beartooths is lake fishing so you might consider a spinning rig instead of a fly rod. I don't have one but wish I did every time I camp by a lake.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools