Topic

Lightest 1L widemouth bottle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest 1L widemouth bottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I usually grab a gatorade bottle (1 oz)for this, but I see the thin water bottles are even lighter, but with a smaller spout. Anyone know of the most ridiculously ultra-light 1 L bottle is…preferable a wide mouth so it is easier to fill.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Here is what I found and I verified with steripen.com support that it is okay to use with a steripen despite it not being a perfect cylinder (it is a squarish cylinder shape). Below are the notes I took plus steripen's response:

"I found a clear, ultralight one quart bottle that with lid weighs 2.9 oz (see 3 pictures), as you can see the mouth is inner lip-to-inner lip diameter is 2", the holding part of the bottle is 6.5" tall by 3" by 3" (it is a square cylinder with rounded edges). the type of plastic is shown on the picture cimg2871 and you probably know what that means more than I do. Would such a container work? If not is it because it is not totally circular in its shape? I would like to get something under 3 oz that is clear (so I can see the light working) and relatively sturdy and can hold 1 quart of water.

The square PVC bottle is shown here:
    http://www.earthcommerce.com/PD/29/002000430629.html

Click here

Cub Foods locally had it. Cost $2.99; 2.9 oz

also shown here (far right bottle):
    http://www.arrowplastic.com/store/catalog.asp?item=34

Click here

Click here

Steripen's response:

"Hi Roleigh,

Both the square PVC bottle and the collapsible Nalgene are OK to use with the SteriPEN.

Hope this helps."

Some pictures:

Bottle Picture 1

Bottle Picture 2

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

One more picture – it shows the chemistry of the plastic via the bottom of the bottle symbols:Bottle Picture 3

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Nice find, Roleigh. I sometimes use a 1 L HDPE Nalgene with my Steripen but this one has it beat by 0.9 oz!

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Dondo, I tried the HDPE Nalgene bottle one year and it was horrible, you could not see the electronic light of the Steripen out in the Sun because the outside wall of the container was cloudy. So this bottle I found at the grocery store is lighter, and perfectly clear too.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

you could not see the electronic light of the Steripen out in the Sun because the outside wall of the container was cloudy.

Good point, Roleigh. I noticed that I had to look for deep shade to be able to see the light. Above treeline, it was even worse, the only shade being my shadow. Your clear bottle seems like a much better solution.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Thanks Roleigh,

It looks good. I can't quite read the plastic type. Is it a 3? PVC?

Any chance of a pic of the inside of the lid? Is it flanged?

Rod

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I reuse Aquafina water bottles. The wide-mouth 1 liter size weighs 1.45 oz (41 g)

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

There is a 3 inside the triangle. I believe it is PVC. It says "Made in USA".

Click on one of my links to see the type of cap it has. I'm not sure what the picture is not showing you. The inside lip shows the mold of the threading that holds the lid on – the inside lip is not smooth. Is that what you want to know about? The photo shows the top of the bottle and how the lip looks, does it not?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

hmmm, seems like my gatorade bottle is winning the race. I'm not looking for one that matches the steripen, simply one that is the lightest. My 1L platy is 0.9oz but it is kind of a pain to drink from without using the hose. Maybe a trip to the grocery store is in order.
    Thanks guys.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Sorry about the thead hijack…
    I just ordered a Steripen Adventurer to replace my worn-out, heavy PUR Adventurer. The driving force in this decision was that ClO2 and Iodine are contraindicated for my wife and kids. We will do most of our family hiking in the Sierra where water is plentiful and frequent, so the quick, easy Steripen should be less hassle than filtering.

Anyhow, Roleigh please expand on the Steripen compatibility. I had hoped that Gatorade bottles would have a wide enough mouth for the Adventurer model. Do you know what the minimum diameter is?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I wonder because you are supposed to stir the Adventurer while it is doing its thing. I don't think the wide mouth Gatorade would allow much stirring. The bottle I showed is very inexpensive.

But a better solution I came up later is to get rid of any bottle, and have one container, a 900 ml Titanium coffee mug which is my steripen container (I checked with Steripen support about this and they said it will work), my coffee mug, and my cooking pot — I got a caldera stove system for it. See my gear list.

However, since you are cooking for others (with the family and I envy you for having a family that wants to hike with you), you might just have to bite the bullet and go for 1 oz extra weight and get a bottle like what I showed. Look in your grocery store the next time you go there or order online at the links I provided.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

I'll play with the Steripen when it arrives. It seems I could swirl the bottle and get the same effect as stirring.

I got it with the fantasy that I would be able to keep it in an outside pocket and easily treat the family's water without a bunch of hassle- like unpacking my cookpot.

Last summer on the JMT it seemed like I was often carrying extra water- but not being able to drink it right away. I didn't want to waste the ClO2 tablets so always did a full liter.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

The standard Steripen unit ("Classic") requires that water be in contact with 2 small metal pins at the base of UV light tube to close the circuit. The Steripen attachment (chunk filter) for Nalgene bottles is sized to make a close, watertight fit with the Steripen once inserted so that one may invert the bottle, shake/stir while treating, and maintain continuous contact between the water and the two pins.

You can get the same result by simply immersing the two pins in a wide-mouth container. I'm not 100% sure, but the newer/smaller steripen models may not have this "fail safe" pin feature.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Jim,
    When I first got my Adventurer, I tried it out in my 1 L Gatorade bottle and found the opening too small. The minimal size opening you need for stirring is around 1 11/16". (This was measured on my 0.5 liter HDPE Nalgene). That said, I remember seeing a thread somewhere where a hiker successfully used a Gatorade bottle by putting a hole in the cap and using some kind of gasket to seal around the Steripen. You couldn't stir, but you could invert the bottle and shake it.

I've been curious about this. When would CLO2 be contraindicated?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Jim, I have a 1 oz locking caribbeaner that clips my coffee mug to the outside of the pack. It also serves as a mild "bear bell" too, the clang of the caribbeaner against the mug. I have my caribbeaner wrapped with electrical tape on one side of it, so if I want to hike without making any noise, I turn the caribbeaner upside down and the rubber tape prevents the "bear bell" noise.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

I got it with the fantasy that I would be able to keep it in an outside pocket and easily treat the family's water without a bunch of hassle- like unpacking my cookpot.

That's pretty much the way it works for me. My pack doesn't even come off. When I get to a source, I just dip my water bottle, stir the Adventurer, wipe off the threads with a bandana and keep moving. With a family it will take a bit longer because you can only treat one liter at a time. Still, it's a lot more convenient than a filter.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

A picture of the 900 ml coffee mug is here:

http://tinyurl.com/97r8e7

Tibetan_Titanium_Pot

100% Titanium construction
    Sturdy wire handle folds into body of mug
    Includes dual-mesh carry sack
    Fits the Caldera Cone stove for the MSR Titan Kettle
    3.6 inches (92mm) tall x 4.75 inches (121mm) diameter
    Combined weight 3.4 oz (96g)
    Mug weighs 2.6oz (76g)
    Lid weighs 0.7 oz (20g)
    It holds 30.5 oz of water too nearly a quart.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here is my version of the "adapter" that was on another thread. The original guy used 3 layers of duct tape- I tried that but it kept leaking. So I came up with the thin foam thing. I used a scrap of 1/8" CCF I had laying around.
    I started off by cutting a hole in the lid and putting the Steri in to check the sizing. I wanted to make the hole in the plastic (orange)lid just big enough to insert the pen over the little lip just above the water contacts. I found the best tool was a dremel with a small grinder (allowed me to take just emougn off on each try). I then cut the 1/8" foam and glued it to the lid. I again used the dremel to "cut" the foam, but I left a small overhang of foam so it would create a seal when the pen was inserted.
    Bottle and lids
    Close up of lidsSide view of lids

Side view of foam adaptersdie view of adapter
    SteriPen in bottle uprightin bottle upright
    Bottle upside down so you can swirl it around (stir the water)bottle upside down
    I keep the adapter with the steripen so I don't have to take my pack off to "clean the water"

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Joining the conversation late — sorry if this is already mentioned…

The lightest, most compact, and easiest to use wide-mouthed bottle may be a combo: a 1L wide-mouth Nalgene cantene coupled with an old 1L Platypus with the bottom sliced off to use as an ultralight and ultracompact water scoop. Together, both weigh less and also take up less space than one rigid or semi-rigid water bottle.

If you use a Platypus "push pull" cap and insert a small, round piece of metallic coffee filter into the 1L platypus — then you can scoop water easily from the cut-off bottom — then pull open the "push-pull" cap and have water flow through the metallic filter and into your Nalgene cantene.

If you use Steripen, you can scoop and treat within the Platy — then pull open the cap and let the water flow down into your Nalgene cantene.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Ben, Tad's solution is only 1 ounce. How much does your solution weigh? My solution got down to 0 ounces (use a 900 ml coffee mug/pot that is being used already), although to keep my mug on the pack, I did consume 1 ounce for a caribbeaner. So either my approach or Tad's is a 1 ounce solution.

Ben, did you mean a 1 L wide-mouth collapsible Nalgene cantene? Big difference in weight loss by adding the adjective "collapsible". I provided a link to the collapsible Nalgene cantene — I think it weighs 2 ounces going by memory.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Elegant solution, Roleigh. Reminds me of the old days when everyone carried a sierra cup on their belts and just dipped and drank when they got to a stream. Do you just drink at the source or do you ever need to carry water between sources?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

I drink like a fish on the trail, I use up about 2 gallons of water a day. I sometimes have 3 liters of water I'm carrying which I know is very heavy, it depends on how far I have to walk between water refills. I try and keep it under 2 liters though. I just get so thirsty.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Roleigh:

I do mean the collapsible Nalgene Cantene. I should have been more careful with the hyperbole "lightest". The Nalgene is pretty darn light but not really the absolute lightest. However, it is the most compact for storing when not in use. The "achilles heel" of collapsible bottles/bladders is the difficulty in filling them at very shallow water source — which is where the cut-open 1L Platy comes in.

I like my arrangement for its overall ightness and compactness, and also because it incorporates a metallic coffee mesh filter.

Edited to correct my spelling of Roleigh. Sorry!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ben, were can I get a metal coffee filter- I have never drank coffee, so I have no idea.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools