Topic

Bear Feeding Frenzy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

Did you see the bear feeding frenzy show on animal planet tonight?

The dude was in a Plexiglas box. Grizzlies came up to the box to paw at a dummy mannequin outside the box.

Then they pretty much ate the dummy and drop it off in the woods.

Apparently, the guy in the plexiglas box didn't scare the bears away with his yelling.

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

That footage looks like it was filmed at the Big Game Alaska wildlife center. We went thru there on our way down to Girdwood. Alaska is like no other place on this earth.. Oh yeah, bears! Here's a link to all of the video footage.
    http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/32177-bear-feeding-frenzy-800-pounds-of-predator-video.htm

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

Here's the link to the wildlife center as well.
    http://awcc.org/home.html

Stuart Armstrong

@strong806

Locale: Near the AT

I like the one where the grizzly drags the tent and the dummy off into the woods to do whatever he wants!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Is it me or was that little experiment in entertainment TRAINING bears to maul people in their tents?

The bears were attracted to the tent and mannikins because they were doused with food scent (fish, I believe)….and towards the end of the show, the host at the facility was beginning to express a little concern about the practice.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't want to hike in that area.

But it's still disturbing that the bears would do that under those condiitons.

Of course, we don't know if they did anything behind the scenes to further provoke the bears.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Frenzy? The backcountry thread! :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools